Sign in to follow this  

What kinda mileage on street?

Guys, I ride fairly calmly and was wondering how many miles I can expect on the street with dirt tires before I have to hit the reserve and how much does the stock tank hold on an S model?

I've got the good carb if that matters any and like I said, I don't go hog wild like some of my fellow riders here :thumbsup:

Thanks

George

I get about 48 - 52 MPG on my rejetted & #X# airbox 2005 DRZ400S with stock engine. Stock tank good for about 80 miles until I hit reserve then another 20 + until on fumes. Does not change much off-road either.

That's all? HOw much does the tank hold and how much of that is reserve? Do you know?

Thanks to both of you by the way

George

tank is 2.8 gallons there are a couple aftermarket tanks that can get you 3.8+ gallons

So the other day when my bike stopped, I turned the petcock to reserve and right after got around 1.8 gallons. Does that mean I had run out of gas or was it possibly something else?

yup, you hit reserve.normally to use the full capacity of the tank it requires that you lay the bike all the way down on the left side(where the petcock is) to transfer all the remaining fuel from the lower right side of the tank.that's why when you normally fill up it doesn't take the full 2.6 gal.

So, if I ever hit the reserve, do I have to tilt the bike or the reserve let's me use the remaining gas?

You'll use all the gas in the lower left side of the tank on reserve. If you run out you'll have a *small* amount you can get out of the lower right side by leaning it over. It won't be much as most of the gas will splash over to the left side during normal riding. So if you run out on reserve you're almost totally out.

You'll use all the gas in the lower left side of the tank on reserve. If you run out you'll have a *small* amount you can get out of the lower right side by leaning it over. It won't be much as most of the gas will splash over to the left side during normal riding. So if you run out on reserve you're almost totally out.

But, someday, that "little bit" will make you very happy!!! I've got the clear/milky IMS tank. It's nice to be able to look down at any time and see what's in the tank! With an RS3, FCR, and 3x3, I go about 43-52 mpg's, depending on terrain. Lots of dirt will drive the number down. I go about 125 miles before hitting reserve on almost every tank. That "little bit" has gotten me to the station twice when I was having too much fun to stop! I think my "right side" is a bit deeper than a stock tank, though.

I hear ya. I put the 4.2 acerbis on mine. The only time I've ever hit reserve was during a long D/S street ride. I get around 50mpg and I think I was up around 215 miles when I had to reach down and switch over.