2-stroke premix advice(Premium from pump or 110 octane RG?)

Okay so i finally finished rebuilding my 2000 CR 125, ive been told by some other riders to run 100 or 110 octane race gas, so i went out and bought some 110, cost me $60 for 5 GALLONS :confused: so now im trying to figure out whats the lowest octane you can run in a two stroke? i believe the highest you can get at the pump is 92 octane but im clueless if that will work? Since i just rebuilt my whole engine i really do not want to mess it up. Much education needed here!

Thanks.:thumbsup:

i run 93 octane from pump and it works fine...if you have the money to buy race fuel go with that

YIKES....110 is expensive in California !!....I run a mixture...2 gallons of 93 octane...currently $4.51/gallon...and 3 gallons of 110...$6.56/gallon...works grea in my YZ 250....plenty of octane and cheeper than straight 110...

god damn you guys have pea soup out there!!! can you not get 94 at chevron?

iv ra 89 in my cr250 and it didnt ping. 92 should be plenty. race gas is really not needed...the lead in it is nice. but, the price...err, not so much.

Both of my good riding buddies and I now have to run 50/50 93octane 110 octane mix in our bikes. Just in the past year the local gas all makes our bikes ping, never did before. VP 110 is 7.99 and 93 is about 4.25. So works out to a little over $6 a gallon. You can get away with 93 pump gas if you dont beat on the bike real hard and just trail ride, but at race pace we needed to use something better.

Edit: bikes are my 03 YZ250, an 06 YZ250, 09 KTM200, and my GasGas EC300.

Like most have already pointed out, mix 93/with whatever race fuel you'll buy. I go 50/50 and the bike doesn't 'ping' anymore.

You probably don't even need 50/50. 3-1 or 2-1 pump-race should be fine.

Don't know for sure about what gas you have out there. Here in TX our premium pump fuel is 92 octane, with a sticker saying that it may contain up to 10% ethanol. If you are jetted right (VERY IMPORTANT!!!) that is fine. On 2 smokes the only reason to run race gas is if you have done piston and head work to up the compression.

I have run pump gas mixed at 32:1 in everything from KTM 50's up to my CR250 and never had a problem. And we ride in 100+ degree temps at times. As long as you are at stock compression, if you are pinging, go up a jet size. Also make sure that bent radiator fins are not letting your bike get too hot.

At stock compression, these bikes are designed to run on pump gas.

god damn you guys have pea soup out there!!! can you not get 94 at chevron?

iv ra 89 in my cr250 and it didnt ping. 92 should be plenty. race gas is really not needed...the lead in it is nice. but, the price...err, not so much.

Different regions have different octane levels. Premium gas is Premium gas.

Most bikes are fine with pump gas unless you have worked the head to bump compression. I would try high test pump gas 1st and listen for pinging when under a load. Sunoco sells 94

My YZ250 smoker I have to run the 3 gal Race and 2 gal high test pump gas......my 450 is fine with just pump gas.

I run straight 100LL avgas in all my two strokes. Costs me $4.35/gal. Here is a avgas price finder for the best prices in your area. http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

All this input helps alot thanks, but yeah out here in CA Sunco 110 is going for 60(tax included) for 5 gallons. so im really trying to cut the costs.