Green Dot Ride Report 5/7/2011 w/Pics

Jay and I debated whether we were going to do the ride all week long. The forecast said 40% chance of rain on Saturday and you just don't want to be on the Green Dots in the rain. The clay becomes so slick and slimy that you might not get out until the rain lets up. Jay had heard a different report than I did, he lives in Yakima, I live in Quincy. So we decided to take a wait and see attitude toward the ride. We have waited for months to ride the lower Quilomene Green Dots and the seasonal closure ended on May 1st. We were getting bored with Saddle Mtn. in Mattawa. So we agreed that if it was partially cloudy with sun shining on Saturday morning we would take the chance and ride.

Saturday morning the sun was shining brightly through my bedroom window when I heard the phone ring. I knew it would be Jay and sure enough we were on to ride the Green Dots. Jay arrived at the staging area at 10:30 a.m. and I arrived at 10:45 a.m.. It was pretty cloudy with breaks of blue sky. Some of the clouds looked threatening but we were there and the bikes were unloaded. So there was no stopping us now. It turned out to be a great riding day.

First picture is my rig and bike and the next is Jays:

my%20staging%201-X2.jpg

jay%20staging%202-XL.jpg

One of the things we look forward to is the spring smells of the desert and the early blooming flowers. Both were quite available to our senses and the desert did not disappoint us. The first stretch of the ride is pretty fast and smooth road. It doesn't get challenging until you get deeper into the desert.

scenic%203-XL.jpg

There is Jay, can you see him?

jay%20scenic%204-XL.jpg

Jay knows on our first spring ride that I will be stopping regularly to take pictures of the scenery and flowers. He is very patient with me when it comes to this and wants original unedited pics when I am done.

Aw, finally we come to our first real flower and stop for one of many photo shoots:

desert%20flower%205-XL.jpg

flower%208-XL.jpg

jay%20and%20bikes%207-XL.jpg

There are long stretches of road that normally a guy could move pretty fast on. And the scenery, even though I see it every spring and summer, never grows old. It is always like I am seeing it for the first time. It is why we ride.

scenic%209-XL.jpg

scenic%2010-XL.jpg

The fragrant smells of the desert plants is much like what you find on single track forest trails. You know how your riding along on a trail for miles with trees all around you but at certain spots you just have to stop cause the pine smell is over powering and you just want to take it in. That is how the desert is, you will be riding along and seeing the same flowers for miles and all of a sudden the perfume of the desert become over whelming. Its great!

scenic%2013-XL.jpg

flower%2012-XL.jpg

The route we were taking would bring us right down to the Columbia River at Whiskey Dick inlet. As we got closer I stopped to take a picture of the River:

columbia%2014-XL.jpg

Whiskey Dick inlet:

whiskey%20dick%2015-XL.jpg

Cliffs on the north side of the inlet:

whiskey%20cliff%2016-XL.jpg

Jay took this opportunity to stuff his face with some food:

whiskey%20jay%2017-XL.jpg

As we left Whiskey Dick inlet we knew there would be plenty of desert plants blooming and beautiful scenic vistas.

bush%20bloom%2018-XL.jpg

my%20bike%2019-XL.jpg

scenic%2020-XL.jpg

Edited by Old_Man_Time

Our destination is the Army road and the top of the area right next to the Wind Farm. A lot of riding ahead of us.

We started seeing a lot of Desert cactus, some in bloom, some going to bloom soon and others already losing their flowers:

cactus%2021-XL.jpg

cactus%2022-XL.jpg

Doesn't that long stretch of road ahead look inviting to your throttle hand?

scenic%2023-XL.jpg

Here is a scene that just cries out to you as we look back over the lower territory we are leaving behind us:

jay%2024-XL.jpg

Now we are on the ridge heading deeper into the Quilomene and the Army road is just ahead of us:

scenic%2025-XL.jpg

scenic%2026-XL.jpg

We finally arrived at our destination for this ride and there was even a blue bird of happiness there to greet us. We were exactly 30 miles into the ride:

quilomene%2027-XL.jpg

Close up of the map on the board. My original full sized picture could easily be printed into a very usable map of the area.

map%2028-XL.jpg

signs%2029-XL.jpg

wind%20farm%2032-XL.jpg

our%20bikes%2030-XL.jpg

Thought I was kidding didn't you but here is the blue bird of happiness:

blue%20bird%2033-XL.jpg

We took a little different route back to the truck so we would not have to back track as much.

scenic%2034-XL.jpg

Looky here a new flower:

flowers%2035-XL.jpg

A nicer section of the roads back to our trucks:

scenic%2036-XL.jpg

scenic%2037-XL.jpg

scenic%2038-XL.jpg

It was not too far from these last pictures that I came upon a 3 foot snake stretched out across the road. I stopped and was digging for my camera and holding my arm out so Jay would not pass me and scare it off. Jay stopped but when he put his foot down the snake felt the vibration (that's what I figure) and scooted off before I could get a picture.

Eventually we were back tracking again to the pickups. It was 4:30 when we pulled in to the staging area and loaded up our bikes. We had put in 64 great miles of riding.

The flowers are going to be in bloom down here in the lower desert Green Dots for another month. In fact they should be out in greater numbers in the weeks to come.

I hope you enjoyed the report. See ya on the trails. Keep your tires down and bike upright. ?

Great report great Pictures

I wonder how many hikers ( GREENIES) get that far in to see that beutiful scenery??

I like to hike, WHEN I HUNTING, and I am sure I see way more than anyone of those people that complain about bikes,quads or whatever.

Great report great Pictures

I wonder how many hikers ( GREENIES) get that far in to see that beutiful scenery??

I like to hike, WHEN I HUNTING, and I am sure I see way more than anyone of those people that complain about bikes,quads or whatever.

There were quite a few hikers with camera's at our staging site. But we found only one hiker at the 10 mile point of the ride. We stopped and talked to him for a while. He was a nice guy and I admire his physical condition and the endurance he has built up. Most of the hikers have turned around after about 3 or 4 miles. Right about the point where you will have some serious down hills. If you go down you have to go back up. It is nice to see so many people getting out doors no matter how far they hiked or rode.

OMT....Are you still thinking about going back again the 14th? I will if someone wants to tag along and would like to see where the snow line is up high.

TONY

Yes Tony, it would be interesting to test the snow line. As I told you on Saturday after the ride, I am wondering if it is possible to stage on the Colockum Pass rd. and ride to the desert. I may take my truck up there for an hour or so during the week.

Nick

Yes Tony, it would be interesting to test the snow line. As I told you on Saturday after the ride, I am wondering if it is possible to stage on the Colockum Pass rd. and ride to the desert. I may take my truck up there for an hour or so during the week.

Nick

I'm off Friday and could ride the 990 up there to look too. ?

TONY

yep.. you know spring is here when OMT green dot reports start showing up..

Nick.. I need to get back over there and pick up a trackable out of a geocache that I placed on our ride over there last year (when me and you split from the others and rode Tarpiscan rd back to the staging area).. it hasn't moved and I doubt anyone is going to find it any time soon.

I hope I can find it again.. hehe

yep.. you know spring is here when OMT green dot reports start showing up..

Nick.. I need to get back over there and pick up a trackable out of a geocache that I placed on our ride over there last year (when me and you split from the others and rode Tarpiscan rd back to the staging area).. it hasn't moved and I doubt anyone is going to find it any time soon.

I hope I can find it again.. hehe

Yep, sounds like a plan. Not sure if the Tarpiscan can be reached, yet. It is usually one of the areas that access is blocked by snow for a few more weeks and maybe longer this year. Might be able to hit it from the Brushy road right now but most likely couldn't loop out on it.

Very Nice...?

You just inspired me to map out my route for this summer. Laid out roughly 135 miles with a gas stash on Colockum Road somewhere. Coming from Liberty so will have to wait til after June 15 and maybe a bit longer with the snow levels we have had up there.

Hey Nick, May I join you this Saturday? That is if I can get Paul and maybe his son out. Gas is too expensive to drive across the state alone.?

I don't know why not. I am watching the weather closely. We have the same prediction next Saturday that we had on the ride. I hope the weather cooperates like it did on Saturday's ride. Paul has already expressed an interest in the ride so I think you will have no problems sharing the trip expenses. Spring in the desert is so nice.