Looking for a top end rebuild kit

I have to do mine too. I like Wiseco just because. I was about to order until I got a little confused. There are two kinds of top end kits

PK1198 - Pro-Lite, Ceramic Composite Bore

PK1704 - Hard Coat Annodize Notes:Racers Choice, 250cc Single Ring

Whats the difference? which one should I get? My ride is a 03yz250. this will be my first top end job

Not to add more confusion but if we are changing our piston at 50 hrs does it really matter if we use wiseco, stock yamaha, or prolite? None should grenade at 50 hrs right? I do understand there are characteristics inherent to each brand but for a 50 hr mark all should be safe to use?

Bryan

Not to add more confusion but if we are changing our piston at 50 hrs does it really matter if we use wiseco, stock yamaha, or prolite? None should grenade at 50 hrs right? I do understand there are characteristics inherent to each brand but for a 50 hr mark all should be safe to use?

Bryan

50hrs only? wow that is short (i think but I don't know really). Are you riding woods or MX?

50hrs only? wow that is short (i think but I don't know really). Are you riding woods or MX?

I change my piston and rings every 20 hours. I think 50 hours is way too many hours (unless you are just cruising around riding trails). But it's cheap insurance to keep a fresh piston in your bike.

125 or 250?

I'm a C woods rider and try my best to keep my 125 in the power band at all times. I skipped my usual new ring at 25 hours last season to see how the piston would look. At 52 hours on the top end I had a decent amount of blow by. If it's a 125 and ridden in the woods then I'd definitely recommend rings at 20-25 hours and a top end at 40-50 depending on skill level. If it's a woods putt putt bike then you could extend those a little bit.

Well, I keep reading that everyone says 50 hours. I too thought this was early but this is coming from someone who would run his banshee until melt down. No idea how many hours that was and it varied greatly at times, I didn't have to replate cylinders though. I was getting two cylinders bored and new pistons for 250-300 and just thought that was how you did it.

So, now days, 50 hours is probably a season or more for me. I don't race and just mess around, nothing I would consider hard on the motor. I figure if I do a top end every fall or spring that isn't too bad.

Not to confuse the issue, but I always go OEM. I know there is supposedly more risk with the OEM grenading, but I think that's overblown a bit. The Wiseco cold seize/slap is also a bit overblown, but a little more legit. Both are great options.

NCY has a complete kit for super cheap.

Not to confuse the issue, but I always go OEM. I know there is supposedly more risk with the OEM grenading, but I think that's overblown a bit. The Wiseco cold seize/slap is also a bit overblown, but a little more legit. Both are great options.

NCY has a complete kit for super cheap.

+1 for OEM and NCY.