Sign in to follow this  

kdx 200

hi can any one please tell me were i can get a new piston and rings for a 85 kdx 200 have tried the local dealer and no go have allso looked on the net and have not been able to find one they all start at 86 and up thanks for any help ashley

Unfortunately, I have found that even though those OEM parts websites still list parts with prices in their online OEM parts lists, the parts are not available anymore unless they also go to some late or current model. I tried to order some things for my 1986 KDX 200 and got an e-mail apology from the company telling me that the items I had ordered were no longer manufactured. I am really surprised that Wiseco doesn't still offer that piston. They still offer the piston for the earlier KDX175.:thumbsup: Maybe you should keep your eyes peeled on E-bay for a NOS piston. Or you might contact Fredette Racing Products and see if they have any leads.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't ALL models of KDX200 pistons interchangable?

I've not compared them, but various part listings suggest full overlap - one listing says that 83~88 are the same piston, while another says 86~05 are the same - ergo, they're all the same.

The basic dimensions definitely are the same across the years.

I do not think so...... It is likely the 83-88 listing is incorrect?

I shall research in the morning - its been bugging me for a while, so this is a good opportunity to satisfy my own curiosity.

No, they are not the same. If you are thinking Wiseco makes one for 1986 - 2006, then that is a different thing. I know as far as OEM, the last one was 1990 - 2006, 1989 was unique, I THINK!! 87 and 88 were the same, 86 was unique, 83 - 85 was the same. Double check the Kawasaki site. Wiseco USED to make a 1983 - 1985 piston, again, I THINK. :smirk:

Im restoring a 84 KDX 200 and have run into this same issue. I sent a message to Jeff Fredette and asked if the piston and rings could be used from the 86-88. He said yes. He races a 83-85 200 in vintage events. I dont know if any modifications have to be made though. I believe the bore and stroke is the same between the 83-85 and the 86-88, if that means anything. Ashley, I believe you may have sent me a email asking the same question, unless someone else is restoring a 83 KDX 200 in Australia.

http://www.frpoffroad.com/index.htm This is Jeffs site, give him a call.

you have it right zz3gmc as far as i can work the piston sets out anway, i have got a piston and rings on there way from the uk (motoduro) the bloke there is 99 percent sure he has the correct one so we will see how we go and thanks for all the help regards ashley

I said interchangeable, not "the same". The basic layout of the engine remained the same across all years of KDX200, despite the obvious improvements like water cooling and exhaust power valve.

I know from experience with 1975 ~ 1985 Yamaha YZ125s that there's a multitude of different part numbers for pistons that do the same job. Yamaha was forever fiddling with ring thickness, number of rings, and minor differences to skirt cut-aways and compressions ratios, resulting in every year having a different part number. In reality, those differences mean nothing, and you can fit any of those pistons to any motor without concern.

My - unproven - understanding is that a similar situation applies to the KDX200 pistons.

(Didn't get a chance to check pistons today. Will endeavour to do so tomorrow).

you have it right zz3gmc as far as i can work the piston sets out anway, i have got a piston and rings on there way from the uk (motoduro) the bloke there is 99 percent sure he has the correct one so we will see how we go and thanks for all the help regards ashley

what was the outcome with the piston ?

got the piston from motoduro and put it in and the bike runs fine turned out they sent me a nos one so all was good.............ashley