Sign in to follow this  

will not run with baffle out.

Hi All,

I have tried a search on the forum and come up with zip.

This is a long winded story so I'll cut it short.

I recently picked up a stock 07 450X. I pulled the baffle and she wouldn't go. Initially started up fine, warmed up but died when I tried to take off. Tried to fire up again, no good. Kept trying eventually she fired but wouldn't Idle and wouldn't rev over 3000rpm and then eventually died. Got back home put the baffle back in she fires up and runs like a charm. Pull the baffle out again, dead :thumbsup: Put it back in, good :confused:

I spoke to the local honda dealer who is a guru on tuning these things and he's stumped too. He asked if he could have a look because he's never had this happen; ever!

Any Ideas

Thanks

Hi All,

I have tried a search on the forum and come up with zip.

This is a long winded story so I'll cut it short.

I recently picked up a stock 07 450X. I pulled the baffle and she wouldn't go. Initially started up fine, warmed up but died when I tried to take off. Tried to fire up again, no good. Kept trying eventually she fired but wouldn't Idle and wouldn't rev over 3000rpm and then eventually died. Got back home put the baffle back in she fires up and runs like a charm. Pull the baffle out again, dead :thumbsup: Put it back in, good :confused:

I spoke to the local honda dealer who is a guru on tuning these things and he's stumped too. He asked if he could have a look because he's never had this happen; ever!

Any Ideas

Thanks

The bike comes stock very lean, and very plugged up. By removing the baffle, you have changed the tuning.

Have you adjusted your fuel screw??

+ 1 and if you are saying all you are doing is unbolting the 4 screws and pulling the guts out your headed down the wrong path to power any way.

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks to this forum I am now aware that I need to re-jet the carb as it runs lean from the factory. I can't believe honda would send these bikes out like this!

The only thing I tried with the exhaust was take out the single screw in the tip of the silencer and remove the piece at the very end of the exhaust. The guy at the shop siad removing this one pice shouldn't effect the way the bike runs and it wouldn't be too lean.

Is this true?

I am going to rejet the carb very soon just saving for a few bits and pieces to bolt on so I only have do do the jetting once.

Cheers

Me thinks your 'Guru' isn't such a guru!!!!

This forum has way and above more collective knowledge than any one mechanic or dealer.

Don't believe the hype!!!!

There is a ton of stuff on TT re. what needs to be done. You are kind of working back to front.

Re-jet (I recommend JD Jetting), cut top of the air box, change fuel screw, and then perform the'baffle-ectomy' (not removing the whole baffle).

I have a '07 X and you will be blown away by the difference.

Read on and enjoy your bike........................

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks to this forum I am now aware that I need to re-jet the carb as it runs lean from the factory. I can't believe honda would send these bikes out like this!

The only thing I tried with the exhaust was take out the single screw in the tip of the silencer and remove the piece at the very end of the exhaust. The guy at the shop siad removing this one pice shouldn't effect the way the bike runs and it wouldn't be too lean.

Is this true?

I am going to rejet the carb very soon just saving for a few bits and pieces to bolt on so I only have do do the jetting once.

Cheers

NO IT'S NOT :thumbsup:

open the airbox, jd kit, fuel screw, etc. and re-install the baffle. your bike should be powerful enough and it's definitely loud enough with the exhaust in stock form.

maybe try a new shop if your "guru" needs to look at it, at what $90 per hour, to deduce the root of the problem.

Thanks again everyone for your replies,

I'm going to take your advice and leave the exhaust stock, Jd kit, fuel screw and remove the snorkel from the airbox. If I want more power after all this is done I'll have a look at an aftermarket exhaust. I'm not interested in sound I prefer my bike to be quiet as possible. I'll even have a go at jetting the carb myself, if I fail I can always take it to the shop (and not the guru I was only going my word of mouth, other than a phonecall I have had no actual dealings with this guy).

Cheers guys

Edited by pip-83
off topic

A baffel-ectomy is a good and cheep way to get good proformance out of the stock exhaust. There are post on here on how to do it. I did mine and left the spark screen intact. I don't know about your bikes down under but here even the off road bikes are EPA mandated.

Thanks again everyone for your replies,

I'm going to take your advice and leave the exhaust stock, Jd kit, fuel screw and remove the snorkel from the airbox. If I want more power after all this is done I'll have a look at an aftermarket exhaust. I'm not interested in sound I prefer my bike to be quiet as possible. I'll even have a go at jetting the carb myself, if I fail I can always take it to the shop (and not the guru I was only going my word of mouth, other than a phonecall I have had no actual dealings with this guy).

Cheers guys

That's the route I went. More then happy and proves more then enough to try and hang on to when twisting the throttle (at least for me any way).

BTW, also toss in a 55 leak jet.

Jim.