Sign in to follow this  

Washington Quad Rider Died

That sucks. Someone's son & best friend. RIP. :thumbsup: Maybe stupidity was involved, but I didn't know at 24 what I know at 42 and I bet when I'm 52 I'll know more. I'm just glad that the now stupid stuff I did when I was much younger didn't cost me as dearly. My condolences to the family & friends.

I'm just glad that the now stupid stuff I did when I was much younger didn't cost me as dearly.

Me too. Everyone's got somebody who cares about them, but come on - no helmet? That's just plain stupid......:thumbsup:

Me too. Everyone's got somebody who cares about them, but come on - no helmet? That's just plain stupid......:thumbsup:

see it all the time with Quad riders. :confused:

see it all the time with Quad riders. :confused:

Me too! It appears that the helmet hinders their ability to smoke and drink their Budweiser while riding.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I think 4 wheels give the uninformed a false sense of stability and safety.

That has been my theory for a long time. Motorcycles make you respect them. It's way to easy for kids and beginner's to ride over their head on quads. The things way a ton, and the crashes are much worse.

I just got back from my first trip to Moab and was slapped by the dirtbikes sporting thru town w/ shorts, sandals and a wife beater.I'm no fan of Quads but obviously stupidity runs deeper than 4wheels.

I just got back from my first trip to Moab and was slapped by the dirtbikes sporting thru town w/ shorts, sandals and a wife beater.I'm no fan of Quads but obviously stupidity runs deeper than 4wheels.

We don't have a helmet law in Colorado. 85 yesterday and tons of motorcyclists ride without in brain bucket and no protective gear. This is hardly a 4 wheeler exclusive. And, I support their right to do whatever they like. The problem comes in when they don't have health insurance to cover whatever injuries result when they have an ooopsie and the rest of us pay for it. Otherwise, ride as you wish.

Agreed !

Ride, were you at the Desert 100 Iron Man Poker run? Even though the Stumpies handed out rules saying no riding through the camping areas without helmets many were helmetless. The rules also regulated the speed limit in the staging areas yet no one seemed to care. It may be stupidity or just an inability to read. You make the call.

This is the type of stuff that gets us attention in Olympia. Next thing you know they pass a law like oregon mandating saffty courses amd some sort of mandatory rider permit.

We don't have a helmet law in Colorado. 85 yesterday and tons of motorcyclists ride without in brain bucket and no protective gear. This is hardly a 4 wheeler exclusive. And, I support their right to do whatever they like. The problem comes in when they don't have health insurance to cover whatever injuries result when they have an ooopsie and the rest of us pay for it. Otherwise, ride as you wish.

With three exceptions:

1) I see way more quad riders going way too fast on access roads than I see bikes.

2) Way too many quad riders blast through parking/staging areas and spray gravel on peoples trucks and do nothing more than kick up dust.

3) I bet at least 10X as many quaders ride under the influence of alcohol. Goes back to being able to ride without having to balance.

Greg

This is the type of stuff that gets us attention in Olympia. Next thing you know they pass a law like oregon mandating saffty courses amd some sort of mandatory rider permit.

Yep - it seems like sometimes we (OHV'ers) are our own worst enemy. :thumbsup:

I feel sorry for his Mother especially.

Worst Mother's Day present ever.

It must suck to have had a dumbass.for a son. That's too bad.

The problem comes in when they don't have health insurance to cover whatever injuries result when they have an ooopsie and the rest of us pay for it.

Insurance costs are balanced out by the rest of us too.... Just because they have insurance doesn't mean the rest of us don't pay for it.

Insurance costs are balanced out by the rest of us too.... Just because they have insurance doesn't mean the rest of us don't pay for it.

But one thing is for sure: if they DON'T have insurance, we ARE paying. How example are you paying for me when I go to the doctor as a fully insurance patient.

Insurance companies are not going to sacrifice their profits to pay for someone's medical bills, they will just pass the cost onto the rest of us that buy insurance. We all pay for it...

We don't directly pay for uninsured people either, but via medical costs going up, along with medical insurance costs, and probably taxes at some level too.

Insurance companies are not going to sacrifice their profits to pay for someone's medical bills, they will just pass the cost onto the rest of us that buy insurance. We all pay for it...

We don't directly pay for uninsured people either, but via medical costs going up, along with medical insurance costs, and probably taxes at some level too.

Sure, but there is a 1:1 hit when you scramble your brains and end up on life support for the tune to 1mm/year when you're not insured. I'm sure there is some shared impact among the consumer, but it's not proportionate, especially when you choose to not wear available safety gear that works. The point is, there is some level of preventibility and those that choose to not wear safety gear disproportionately contribute to the impact on the rest of us.