fully uncorked engine - what's the timelife of the piston?

got my CRF450X'05 with fully uncorked engine.. dyno run shows 46.4HP at the wheel.

the primary usage - as the supermoto, im riding as noob at the track. aint taking a role in any competitions. btw im not so skillful to kill the engine like a pro, but as daily summary - it takes about one hour to get to the track from my home and another to get back. and about 1 and a half of a hour at the track. so the engine keeps working for about 3-3.5hours as the summary. its the total dailt ride time.

essentially, I change engine and gearbox oil each 15 enginehours and I used to change the oil filter once at 30hours.

i used to get my bike to the track as itself at about 75kmh at the 5500-6000rpm with 13/45 gearing.. in case of traffic jams. so it sounds like constant speed at the middle area of revs. I can't stand to keep riding more than a minute at high revs - the enginge screams so loud and I can't keep that way anymore))

but at the supermoto track I used to run up to 8000-9000 rpm area , and keep that rythm for about 5-10-15 secs before I starting to use brakes and throw the throttle to pass the turn...

well, does it sound enought? does it make any sence?

the question is - what's the total lifetime of piston using the bike in described way? if to compare with R-version where normal lifetime of piston is about 60-80 riding hours..

A lot of factors here. Some get 200+ hours on the stock piston. Some get 75....

I would say that at 100 hours it's time to take the top end apart and inspect and mic out the piston and cylinder. That is the only way to really know what kind of life is left on the piston, and if there is any wear issues on the cylinder.

sounds good, ty

After 100 hours it would be a bit strange to take it all apart just to measure and then decide not to replace the piston. If I had a 100 hour motor apart I would replace it regardless of what it looked like or measured at.

The value of your own time, plus gaskets and consumables is probably a decent percentage of the cost of a piston and rings.

A leak-down test is a cost free non-invasive option - but still at 100 hours you may as well replace for the peace of mind.

Edited by mtrehy
A leak-down test is a cost free non-invasive option - but still at 100 hours you may as well replace for the peace of mind.

I agree 100%, but that can be tricky on a single cylinder motor. :thumbsup: