[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

xr600 stem vs 97 CR500 stem

Does anyone know if the O.D (where the stem fits into the top and bottom tree) is the same on the 98 XR600 and the 97 CR500?

I'm pretty sure the top bearing is the same (it is on the early to mid 90 CR's) but the bottom bearing is different. Service Honda's fiche look-up is great for cross-referencing part #'s.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda

Top bearing is the same on all cr500's 1989-2000, and its same as xl/xr 600's

89 cr 500 is the same top and bottem and will bolt right on no mods

Bottem is larger,but you can turn it down to match the top easy.then add a 1/4" to the stop your done.:thumbsup:

Does anyone know if the O.D (where the stem fits into the top and bottom tree) is the same on the 98 XR600 and the 97 CR500?

92 and up has the large bearing top and bottom. The top triple clamp needs a bushing to match the XR stem.

Thanks guys..... U rock, as always. I bought a 12ton press last night from Harbor Freight. It was on sale for 129.00. I pressed out my 98 xr600 stem and my 97 CR500 stem. I am taking it down to my buddies machine shop so he can machine the cr5 stem at the bottom bearing. For anyone that pulls up this info in the future, make sure that you press the stem out of the bottom tree from the top side down. Do not do it from the bottom side down (upside down). There is a snap ring that is located at the bottom of the cr500 stem and it is seated into the bottom side of the lower tree.

why are you doing that?

the xr600 forks are fine for the bike. you shouldn put mx forks on unless your planning mx. and once you start doing serious jumps, yopull find that the frame is the weak link.

i love standard xr600 forks. they are great for small jumps and desert.

Frontend conversion is done. Just had to machine the part of the stem at the lower bearing to install the original XR600 lower bearing onto the 97 CR5 stem. Everything went together as normal after that was done.

thestuz- going for the new style suspension. Old fork was too old school. The must be a reason why the manufactures made a change to the USD fork.

Anyway, very happy with the swap. Pictures will be coming soon of my bike build. Just have to finish modifing the exhaust mid pipe. Should be done tonight, thx

Frontend conversion is done. Just had to machine the part of the stem at the lower bearing to install the original XR600 lower bearing onto the 97 CR5 stem. Everything went together as normal after that was done.

thestuz- going for the new style suspension. Old fork was too old school. The must be a reason why the manufactures made a change to the USD fork.

Anyway, very happy with the swap. Pictures will be coming soon of my bike build. Just have to finish modifing the exhaust mid pipe. Should be done tonight, thx

You are going to like it.I put the 95 cr500 on my 85 xl600,witch is 43 mm your 97 should be 46 mm better yet.how is the tank clearance? I han to add a 1/4 inch to my fork stop,as it just touched the end of the stock one.:thumbsup:

cr 125 and 250 have the large top and bottem bearing.

Edited by winginit

You are going to like it.I put the 95 cr500 on my 85 xl600,witch is 43 mm your 97 should be 46 mm better yet.how is the tank clearance? I han to add a 1/4 inch to my fork stop,as it just touched the end of the stock one.:thumbsup:

I also added 1/4" to the sterring stop. Just got the bike home tonight. I will be working on it for the next few evenings after work and should be taking it for a spin Staurday morning. It's plated :confused:

thestuz- going for the new style suspension. Old fork was too old school. The must be a reason why the manufactures made a change to the USD fork. ---end quote---

the manufacturers used beefier cr front end on mx bikes to handle 60 foot landings.

where as the xr600, xr650 was an enduro bike that was never intended for that. so the smaller conventional forks were just fine. having said that, the standard forks worked well for mx too. it was the weak frame that usually goes first.

i personally considered the xr600 suspension to be the plushest, most comfortable suspension ever put on a bike.

i have a 98 xr600 and love the front end for desert and triails.

i have a cr500 and am not too fond of the front end at all unless im landing a solid jump.

thestuz- going for the new style suspension. Old fork was too old school. The must be a reason why the manufactures made a change to the USD fork. ---end quote---

the manufacturers used beefier cr front end on mx bikes to handle 60 foot landings.

where as the xr600, xr650 was an enduro bike that was never intended for that. so the smaller conventional forks were just fine. having said that, the standard forks worked well for mx too. it was the weak frame that usually goes first.

i personally considered the xr600 suspension to be the plushest, most comfortable suspension ever put on a bike.

i have a 98 xr600 and love the front end for desert and triails.

i have a cr500 and am not too fond of the front end at all unless im landing a solid jump.

I quess the same reason all the Baja 1000 race bikes use the USD forks, weird uh...:thumbsup:

I quess the same reason all the Baja 1000 race bikes use the USD forks, weird uh...:confused:

did you see the new dirt rider this month their is a pic of scott summers on an xr 600,and wow , it has a usd front end.He won 9 races that year on that bike.and I'am sure It's more about the rider,my usd forks wont make me a scott summers.Hum..... I wonder why he put in on his bike? It's only 8 pounds lighter,Some say it is stifer,IE dont need a brace,that cant be it.I think he did it just so it would look cool.:thumbsup:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981882

Edited by winginit
link

did you see the new dirt rider this month their is a pic of scott summers on an xr 600,and wow , it has a usd front end.He won 9 races that year on that bike.and I'am sure It's more about the rider,my usd forks wont make me a scott summers.Hum..... I wonder why he put in on his bike? It's only 8 pounds lighter,Some say it is stifer,IE dont need a brace,that cant be it.I think he did it just so it would look cool.:thumbsup:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=981882

the bike was used for jumping..... as i said:bonk::confused::bonk:

I quess the same reason all the Baja 1000 race bikes use the USD forks, weird uh...:thumbsup:

thats because all modern performance bikes have usd forks.

half those bikes competing are mx bikes"modified" for baja.

the xr600s,xr650s and kx500s all used to dominate baja. they all had conventional forks. even when usds were around.

your getting of topic anyway. my point was standard forks are fine for a xr600.

unless your gonna do motorx. your better off with stock imo, but its your time and money.

One issue with the 600 forks is the lack of adjustability. All the stock forks have is a low speed compression adjustment. "Modern" forks have high and low speed compression and a rebound adjuster. Kind of important should you change the spring rate, you know.

You should revalve and respring your shock now that your front end is going to be much stiffer