Is this rare ? Found an Xlx350R ....

Hi All

I am out here in Cape Town at the foot of Africa and recently bought this bike with only 11 000km / 7000 miles on it. It was registered in SA in 1994 and has had only one owner all it's life. It's a single carb but RFVC head.

Nobody in South Africa knows a thing about this bike. It looks like it must have been made in Brazil back in the late 80's , as the labels are Spanish.

The only thing wrong with it was a rotten air filter and the front tire was completely perished.

I've set the valves 0.08/0.13mm for want of any manual , and made a plan with the air filter.

A little attention here and there and it rides like a new machine.

Does anyone know if parts are still available or do any forum folks own one ?

I can't believe 350cc bikes died out as they are a brilliant compromise between road speed and offroad weight !

I bought this for the wife as she weighs only 48kg , and anything heftier for her is a giant!

Will this bike have a future when it comes to spares ?

Any and all comments, warnings, experiences will be most welcome.

IMG_4645.jpg

thats nice the blue and gray is a nice color combo. i would think that parts shouldnt be too bad, they may be interchangeable with an xr 350. also the valve clearance for the 400 is .10mm intake and .12 exhaust, so yours shouldnt be too far off.

• 3 weeks later...

That bike was actually made in Brazil in the 80/90´s. I´ve owned one a few years ago, and it´s a great bike. A little too haevy for off road use, but its powerful and almost unbreakable.

Here´s a pic of mine: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=18515

This bike is still very popular here in Brazil, even though honda stopped it´s production about 15 years ago. It´s easy to find parts for it here.

There was also another model called NX350 Sahara, the same bike with different tank and with electric starter.

305_1545727.jpg

This site has a lot of info about this bike (most of it is in portugese though): http://xlx350r.zip.net/

Good luck with the bike!

Hi Vivanzin ! Thanks for info and the link. I had great fun translating the history of "Xiselenah" ? Is that a girls name or what is the meaning ? : )

Anyway , it's nice to have some South America in South Africa. I want to come and visit Brazil one day, you guys have fun there , good music, pretty girls , steaks like ours , place to ride .... : ) : )

Ciao

Veemax

Hi Vivanzin ! Thanks for info and the link. I had great fun translating the history of "Xiselenah" ? Is that a girls name or what is the meaning ? : )

Anyway , it's nice to have some South America in South Africa. I want to come and visit Brazil one day, you guys have fun there , good music, pretty girls , steaks like ours , place to ride .... : ) : )

Ciao

Veemax

Did you mean "Xiselinha"? That means "little XL", its how they call the XL125S.

You really should come to Brazil, its a great country to visit.

That bike was actually made in Brazil in the 80/90´s. I´ve owned one a few years ago, and it´s a great bike. A little too haevy for off road use, but its powerful and almost unbreakable.

Here´s a pic of mine: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=18515

This bike is still very popular here in Brazil, even though honda stopped it´s production about 15 years ago. It´s easy to find parts for it here.

There was also another model called NX350 Sahara, the same bike with different tank and with electric starter.

305_1545727.jpg

This site has a lot of info about this bike (most of it is in portugese though): http://xlx350r.zip.net/

Good luck with the bike!

I would buy that Sahara version in minute NOW. 350, electric start, fairing, with gas prices going to the moon, that bike would be perfect. NOW. ?

Currently, Honda makes the XRE350 in Brazil, wich could be considered an evolution of the Sahara. But its so ugly...

XRE300_1.jpg

i dont think it looks all that bad, kinda looks like a small gs650. if only they sold them in the us, the honda that is

I think our friends in Brazil know something we don't know about motorcycling ...that less is sometimes more.

I really want to visit South America ....I wonder how long it will take to learn Spanish ?

Spanish should be close enough to Portugese .... Spanish with a South African accent will sound like Klingon anyway !!!

Hahahahahahaaa.

Pass the Tequila ....

:ride:

Brazil is a paradise for motorcycle manufacturers. We pay high prices for bikes that wouldn't worth much in USA or other countries.

That XRE300 (it's not 350, my mistake) costs about R$12.000, or US$7.500.

The CRF230, made in Brazil, costs US$3.500 in USA (correct me if I'm wrong) and we pay US$6.500 for the same bike.

Another example, I've paid US$13.000 for my 09 CRF250R. :ride:

So people here use to ride small bikes not cause they like them, but because they can't afford better bikes.