Sign in to follow this  

cleaning radiators

anyone know how to clean radiators ,mine are good and strait just real dirty , past presure washing i'd like to get them new and shiny new looking again , ive thought about taking them to a radiator shop to see if they dip them in something , or if anyone has any suggestions, this is purly cosmetic , i thoght about trying the draino bath lye thing would that work?

Eagle one products makes an aluminum cleaner, it is for bare aluminum wheels. It will clean the crap out of it as long as you get all the mud off of it. It actually etches the metal and makes it like new. rins, spray product, let sit for about 45 secs, rinse very well to neutralize. two times makes 'em like new. Oreillys auto carries it.

^^^ What he said... But I actually use the Eagle One Wire wheel cleaner for all my aluminum parts... Just make sure you take the radiators off your bike and then clean them. Cause whatever you get this stuff on will etch it for sure... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have a big bucket of water with Baking soda in it to neutralize that stuff too.

You could just use Lime away too. It'll do the same thing. Just make sure you get it all rinsed off.

OK , SO I F-ED THEM UP ,HOME DEPOT has some special drain cleaner ,in a black 1/2 gal jug simular to draino but one hell of alot stronger ,i poured it into a small tub let it set for 30 sec max and it started smoking and boiling ,i thought it was going to blow up , i got the hose out washed it off quik but to late it ate in one corner all the cooling fins off , cleaned it nice though , so after it was toast i decided to mix it 50/50 with water , it was still way to strong ate a hole in another spot , i might keep deluting it and testing it untill its safe if i need to clean aluminum in the future , im really stunned that they sell something like that with out major warnings saying it probably needs to be diluted , i wouldnt use the stuff in my drain , its so strong , live and learn i guess , luckly i only did one , so i'll have a spare , looks like i'll go over to ebay and check out the sets they have , anyone buy those' any seller/ratiador better then the other , not the fluidine's cant afford those:)

OK , SO I F-ED THEM UP ,HOME DEPOT has some special drain cleaner ,in a black 1/2 gal jug simular to draino but one hell of alot stronger ,i poured it into a small tub let it set for 30 sec max and it started smoking and boiling ,i thought it was going to blow up , i got the hose out washed it off quik but to late it ate in one corner all the cooling fins off , cleaned it nice though , so after it was toast i decided to mix it 50/50 with water , it was still way to strong ate a hole in another spot , i might keep deluting it and testing it untill its safe if i need to clean aluminum in the future , im really stunned that they sell something like that with out major warnings saying it probably needs to be diluted , i wouldnt use the stuff in my drain , its so strong , live and learn i guess , luckly i only did one , so i'll have a spare , looks like i'll go over to ebay and check out the sets they have , anyone buy those' any seller/ratiador better then the other , not the fluidine's cant afford those:)

I heard muriatic acid does the same wonederful thing to cleaning aluminum!!! Here's what one of my friends customers brought into him after cleaning their carborator with it!!! :confused::lol::worthy:

muraticacidcarb.jpg

You shoulda just listened to us and used the Eagle One cleaner...:thumbsup:

i'll post a pic , I already had an agenda ,before i reread the thread ,the rad looks awsome looks brand new , just has a quarter size area where the thin fins just melted away , honestly i dont even want to dispose of the stuff untill i nutralize it , it has two types of acid in it , ive used oven cleaner ,draino on different things with good succsess but this shit is too toxic,from now on i'lluse the eagle one , cost me 120 bucks for the asi radiators, and i'll ebay the good fill side that didn't fry

When you get those polished ASI Rads dont be using any cleaners on them other than warm soapy water.they come nice and polished and that will disappear with chemicals. Mother's mag polish works great on them. sorry to hear about your OEM's. Like I said before Eagle One makes a great product for aluminum, but like any chemicals test a spot before goin crazy with it.