Sign in to follow this  

rear wheel bearing

I"m going to replace my rear wheel bearings 01 cr250. I see the one side has two bearings. Will these both tap out together? Will I need a small slide puller to get these out? Thanks, Tips?

I"m going to replace my rear wheel bearings 01 cr250. I see the one side has two bearings. Will these both tap out together? Will I need a small slide puller to get these out? Thanks, Tips?

You can get them out with a punch but this:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&keyword=tusk+bearing+puller&prodFamilyId=20342

Works Awesome!!

Does anyone have recommendations for getting the retaining ring out without buying Honda's special tool?

Does anyone have recommendations for getting the retaining ring out without buying Honda's special tool?

Hammer and punch works, once again, but be very careful because that thing is really soft. Motion pro makes a socket that works like the special honda tool that you can get from rockymountainmc.com for pretty cheap.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=166&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&keyword=wheel+bearing+tool&prodFamilyId=1480

i couldn't get mine out with a hammer and punch, I don't doubt that it may work, but it wouldn't for me.

I had to use the motion pro socket, and even when I used that, the retainer basically fell apart. Good thing the pivot works kit I was using came with a new retainer.

Usually you have to drill the staking on the retaining ring. A 1/8" drill bit works well and don't drill too deep. After drilling the stakes (there's 2 of them) then the tool from rockymountain works really well. After the retainer is out, remove just like any other bearing. Make sure you get the right size driver/socket/punch etc... and keep getting bigger hammers until they come out. If it was put together, it has to come apart.