Can i use ATF ( need to know soon)

2005 yz450.

Can i use atf type f for a oil change and not ruin anything?

And whats the difference between the bregular oil change and people say the use it for gear oil??

im usually a 2 stroke guy:bonk:

If i am correct,ATF is a transmission fluid so i wouldn't use it for engine oil...

yes it is but it is Really good touse in 2 strokes

i run ATF type F in my 2 strokes and honestly im not very impressed....will be doing rotella next time

Yea, but you are using it in a 2 strokes transmission not in the engine. If your YZ450 has a separate compartment for the gear box, then it should be okay, otherwise, no.

Big end of the rod, small end of rod, and piston are lubed by pre-mix gas/oil. Although some claim a benefit to using ATF in the trans, i see no reason at all to use it, Rotella oil im doubting is ANY more expensive than a quality ATF, and is a better choice for a motor. Put transmission fluid .. in your transmission. Any quality oil will be fine for the dirt bike trans, just be sure it doesn't contain friction modifiers (moly) or say "energy conserving" on the round stamp on the lable on the back.

"SEARCH" .. more info on what oil, best oil, how much oil, what else can i do with oil, etc. than you will know what to do with.

2005 yz450.

And whats the difference between the bregular oil change and people say the use it for gear oil??

The YZ450 engine shares oil with the tranny as far as I know, which makes ATF a really bad idea. ATF may be close to the right viscosity, but I doubt it has the right detergents to suspend all the combustion garbage the engine will create.

Why not use the proper weight motor oil (probably 10w40) that Yamaha recommends for this machine?. I'd change at 5-6hrs for reg oil, and 8-9hrs for synthetic.

FWIW, I use Rotella in my 2t's, also what Rekluse recommends

No! if you had a two stroke then it would be fine but since it's a 4stroke and it's crank and tranny oil are share you do not want to use atf.. if you're in a pinch and need oil use shell rotella T 15w40 in a white bottle from wallmart or any major store that sells oil.. I use this oil only in all my bikes.

Use rotella T6 synthetic or the regular 15w-40.

2005 yz450.

Suuuuure, go ahead and run that ATF in the Fo Fiddy, than visit these guys for some parts.

http://www.babbittsonline.com/home

Unless it meet the API specification in your owners manual, you'll more then likely be sorry.

Shell Rotella 15W-40 is between 11.00 and 16.00 a gallon, this will suffice in both the crankcase and gearcase if you have both.:thumbsup:

2005 yz450.

What does your owner's manual say?

Four issues here: Engine oils need special detergents, transmissions need an oil that is resistant to shear breakdown, some automotive engine oil additives can cause wet clutches to slip, and synthetics can cause problems with some wet clutches. Some 2T Trials riders use synthetic gear oils because of the smoother clutch action.

ATF is a great gear oil for wet clutches, common on 2Ts, but does not have the detergents to deal with combustion products so don't use it as an engine oil.

Rotello T is a great engine oil that is also OK for wet clutches. I get smoother clutch action with T oil than Honda engine oil.

I run Rotello T in my XRs that share engine/tranny/clutch oil.

ATF is great in a 2T tranny, and Dextron III makes for great clutch action.

Edited by chuck4788