Help! I Bent up My Subframe Real Good!

Hi, all. Man. I had a nasty fall. Bike did a loop in the air and landed upside down. I thought I was luck and only lost a mirror mount and a rear signal...then I saw this:

KawarthaLakes-20110509-00034.jpg

KawarthaLakes-20110509-00036.jpg

KawarthaLakes-20110509-00035.jpg

I know people bend it back, but where do I start? Do I take it off and straighten in a vice? Do I leave it on and try to bend it in place?

Crap...I have never damaged a bike so badly. :thumbsup:

i just use a 6ft long "demolition bar" to get the leverage need to move the back.

you will need to tie the bike down some how though.

When you try to straighten it, try to bend in the opposite way the forces that bent in the first place. Best of luck

Good advice guys, thanks.

So, it doesn't look beyond repair? I am assuming I can be pretty aggressive with the bending back? :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the input

its fixable. yes,you can get pretty agressive. let the aluminum "rest" between attempts.

I just wanted to share a method for holding the bike while trying to bend back the sub-frame. I am sure many people have done it this way, but maybe the pictures will help someone else.

I just used a ratchet strap to hold my bike onto my motorcycle floor jack. I could then use a long pipe to bend the frame without the bike lifting off the floor:

KawarthaLakes-20110510-00038.jpg

KawarthaLakes-20110510-00037.jpg

I think I almost have it. Just a few more tweaks:

KawarthaLakes-20110510-00039.jpg

Thanks again for all the help. :thumbsup:

I have just laid the bike on the ground and then stood on the subframe to get it straight before

I have just laid the bike on the ground and then stood on the subframe to get it straight before

Yep, that would work, but I find it easier this way to see how straight it is. That was my next step for sure!

Edited by Mr. C

No video's of the crash? :thumbsup:

Wow, you sure did a number on it, Peter!

No video's of the crash? :worthy:

I hope not! :confused: Not my finest moment!

Wow, you sure did a number on it, Peter!

Yeah. It looks like it will all straighten out now. I just noticed that my headlight bracket is all bent up and the handle bars are down about 2 inches on the one side.

Is it safe to bend back aluminum handle bars, or should I replace them?

Damage toll so far:

Bent sub-frame, broken signal light, broken mirror, broken mirror mount (on the brake reservoir of course), bent headlight bracket, and bent handle bars.

Luckily, all is easy to fix. Forks and the main frame all look fine. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mr. C

I know it sucks, but no worries, it's a DRZ! Parts are cheap and relatively plentiful if replacement is necessary.

replace the bars; loosen your triple clamps slightly and wiggle the (new) bars from side to side to release any twist in the forks. These bikes are made for that kind of oops! don't worry & try to remember how the balance point felt….

Yep. Pro Tapers are on their way.

I think I hit the balance point in mid air, so hopefully I won't feel that again! :thumbsup:

I know it sucks, but no worries, it's a DRZ! Parts are cheap and relatively plentiful if replacement is necessary.

I hear ya. I got away with a swollen knee being the only injury. All is well! :thumbsup: