Sign in to follow this  

Finished Jet kit install, Now won't idle right....

I just finished my JD jet kit install and fired it up for the first time. It cranked right up but is idling really high and rough at that. This is my first time working on a carb, but I'm fairly confident I hooked everything back up correctly.

My settings are: (Per kit instructions)

155 main jet

25 pilot jet (the one that came w/ the kit)

Blue

Clip in 3rd from top

2.75 turns w/ extended fuel screw

My elevation is only 500ft ASL.

Any ideas on what might be the issue? I'm going to tear it down again tommorrow and recheck it all. Any tips for disconnecting the throttle cables more easily? Those by far gave me the most trouble, even more than taking the carb body out.

Scratch that, just reread you post.

If you close the fuel screw completely will it kill the bike? If you lower the idle does it stall?

It fired up w/o the vacuum line hooked up. I stopped realizing I didn't have it hooked up and then it still is idling really high. Just to make sure the vacuum line hooks into the bottom of the carb on the float bowl cover correct? Do my jet settings look correct?

Oh yeah:

3x3, Full RS2 for mods.

Just to make sure the vacuum line hooks into the bottom of the carb on the float bowl cover correct?

nope. top front of the carb. that is your issue. you have a massive vacuum leak.

Got it hooked up correctly. Idles perfect now. Took it out for a 15mi run and there is a definate increase in throttle response. No more lunging. Thanks for the help Eddie.