Sign in to follow this  

1969 Honda Scrambler 350

Someone is offering me a 1969 Honda Scrambler 350 with 2500 miles on it. He has owned it for about 30 years. He hasn't used it for ten years. He set it aside after it began running rough. Sounds like a fuel problem. He wants $500. I haven't gone to look at it, but he said it would probably need new tires after sitting unused for ten years. Any comments?

I'll take it if you don't!!!!

TD

The Scrambler is in Fairbanks, Alaska. I wonder how much shipping would be to get it to you. So you think it is a steal?

New tires, probably new jets for the carbs. The good news is the old gasoline is not nearly as bad as the new gasoline when left in a carb. Oh points, plugs, and maybe condensor.

The only downside to those old bikes, which should run forever, is the skinny tires. You'll feel every bit of uneven surface on the highway changing lanes.

My uncle traded in a mint CL175 twin and got next to nothing for it. I probably could have gotten him double his money on eBay. :thumbsup:

What a nice CL350 looks like.

Red+1967+CL-77.JPG

New tires, probably new jets for the carbs. The good news is the old gasoline is not nearly as bad as the new gasoline when left in a carb. Oh points, plugs, and maybe condensor.

The only downside to those old bikes, which should run forever, is the skinny tires. You'll feel every bit of uneven surface on the highway changing lanes.

My uncle traded in a mint CL175 twin and got next to nothing for it. I probably could have gotten him double his money on eBay. :thumbsup:

What a nice CL350 looks like.

Red+1967+CL-77.JPG

That's actually a 305 Scrambler. The 350 had chrome end caps covering the rocker adjusters on the cam ends and a less cantered top end angle, plus more.

I'm going to go look at it this weekend and try to get some pictures to post. Someone else is selling a 1976 350, sounds like a CL350 for $750 and it runs. No odometer. He doesn't know much about it.

The Scrambler is in Fairbanks, Alaska. I wonder how much shipping would be to get it to you. So you think it is a steal?

Man I don't ever look at where someone is located. Alaska, shipping would kill me!! Hope the bike looks good and runs ok. I have wanted a CL 350 since I was about 12 years old. Keep us updated, can't wait to see the picts.

TD

Someone is offering me a 1969 Honda Scrambler 350 with 2500 miles on it. He has owned it for about 30 years. He hasn't used it for ten years. He set it aside after it began running rough. Sounds like a fuel problem. He wants $500. I haven't gone to look at it, but he said it would probably need new tires after sitting unused for ten years. Any comments?

It would be nice if the engine turned over and isn't locked up with rust. The PO's comment about rough running could have been ignition. This baby has POINTS. I never owned one but my best friend did. The things I remember were, HEAVY, forget about any off-road capability, fun to ride on the street - moderately quick, bulletproof engine, cool exhaust sound. Parts are getting rare so if you want a show bike, it's gonna be tough. Maybe you can get it for less than $500...?

It would be nice if the engine turned over and isn't locked up with rust. The PO's comment about rough running could have been ignition. This baby has POINTS. I never owned one but my best friend did. The things I remember were, HEAVY, forget about any off-road capability, fun to ride on the street - moderately quick, bulletproof engine, cool exhaust sound. Parts are getting rare so if you want a show bike, it's gonna be tough. Maybe you can get it for less than $500...?

The seller gave me the long story over the phone. It sounds like he has such a sentimental attachment to it that he has kept it in good storage condition. He hasn't actually advertized it. He responded to a craigslist posting, about wanting to buy "that unused neglected depreciating motorcycle that is sitting in your garage." It sounds like intellectually he knows he needs to sell it for its own good, but emotionally he is still attached. He has other bikes and too little time to devote to the beloved Honda Scrambler.

Some people don't understand that "emotional attachment" or "sentimental value" don't really have any value in the marketplace...UNLESS you are willing to pay that premium for it, and maybe you are, which is certainly OK. Keep us posted!