Sign in to follow this  

2010 YZ 450 gearing??

I was running a 49t rear all last season and it was decent but not great, then this season tried a 50t, at the recommendation of alot of TT members, and now it seems like it shortened up the ratios too much and hits very hard. I race only moto, and am running the Marmont map, all else stock. Now thinking of maybe trying stock 48t rear to stretch out ratios a bit? Bike is also a wheelie machine off of the starting gate, even with a start device. Anybody have any feedback, ideas? (I want to keep using the Marmont map as I like the feel and it helps with stalling). Thanks.

I was running a 49t rear all last season and it was decent but not great, then this season tried a 50t, at the recommendation of alot of TT members, and now it seems like it shortened up the ratios too much and hits very hard. I race only moto, and am running the Marmont map, all else stock. Now thinking of maybe trying stock 48t rear to stretch out ratios a bit? Bike is also a wheelie machine off of the starting gate, even with a start device. Anybody have any feedback, ideas? (I want to keep using the Marmont map as I like the feel and it helps with stalling). Thanks.

I run the stock gearing with a little tammer map on the bottom. But I am older than you I presume.....

I get plenty of holeshots with the stock gearing. If I was to go to Southwick in the sand that might be different, not on the start, but pulling some of those sweepers followed by an uphill.........

49T is my go to gearing on my 2010. I used to be more of a 3rd gear "cornerer", but have been using second more on this '10 vs. my '08. BUT I would not be afraid to use different sprockets at different tracks! I'm always changing maps based on conditions and track layout, technical sections, etc. and the same thing applies to gearing. OBTW the YZ450 internal gear ratios are the same from at least 2006 on up. Have you tried a 3rd gear start? :thumbsup:

I weigh 175, and am a decent Vet B rider. No, I have not tried 3rd gear starts, maybe this weekend! Bike still seems like too short of ratios with the 50, doesn't help that the bike doesn't rev. I don't know... maybe I'll try the stock gearing with the Marmont map. Thanks for the input.

You said everything else is stock and you feel as if the gearing falls off to quickly with the 50t. ( which is what I run ) You deserve atleast a yosh slip-on if not a full system. This mod will help extend the top end noticably. I am wearing out 3rd gear riding it like an auto trans. I also think it would pull a nice 3rd gear start, but I haven't tried from a dead stop...

I just put on a 50t rear sprocket and I am headed to the track in a few hours. I hope I like it.

i ride mostly in 3rd gear as well. runnin 49t on the rear. will that actually wear out the internal gear over time that much vs shifting more?

I was being a bit sarcastic as far as my comment regarding wearing out 3rd gear. But it is an interesting question... Maybe Gray or ? could chime in and give us the low down on tranny wear and tear?:thumbsup:

I'm about your weight, too, and normally I'd go with +1 in back but lately it's been -1/-2 because someone gave me the smaller rear sprocket and I had the smaller CS in my gear bag. Basically the same combo and the bike pulls perfect in a mix of riding this side of wide open desert or gnarly tight woods.

If you spend 75% of your time in one gear than wouldn't that gear obviously wear sooner than the 4 others that only do 25% of the work between them?

But is gear tooth wear the biggest problem your gearbox has to deal with? No. What takes your trans down is usually wear on the locking lugs, and nearly all of that happens during a shift.

i had figured u were a bit sarcastic in ur original post, :thumbsup: but also i kno i had a buddy bust his 3rd gear in an 03 yz125. completely different bike i kno, but i know he hates shifting on any bike, and thought that it might have been a contributing factor as to why it busted. and on the primary track i ride i go from start to finish in 3rd. once in a while i may grab 4th out of a corner comin up to a jump but that is it for me, just dont want any tranny problems. but yes grey, it does make sense as well