Sign in to follow this  

Galfer Front SS Line Woes

Guys,

I installed a brand spanking new fancy Galfer (from Tusk) front brake line on my X and I'm having troubles with it. The line is sliding up and down inside the outer housing. This is allowing the hose portion (from fork protector to caliper) to build up excess slack and in turn it is hitting the spokes on my front wheel. I've got about 5 hours on it and in that time it has already worn the fancy-shmancy red coating off the line where it has made contact with the spokes and bottom of the the outer fork.

Makes sense that you would be able to slide the line within the outer sleeve to adjust it as needed for installation, but once it's set up you'd think there would be a way to lock it in place. As it is right now, everytime the suspension gets compressed it's pushing that little section of hose out and taking away the slack above the number plate.

Any suggestions? I don't think I can tighten the 2-piece clamp on the fork slider tight enough to keep this from happening.

Thanks

-t

Clamp the line without the clear cover, at the fork protector.

LOL! That makes sense. Thanks Krannie. When I get home I'll try that. Do you think I should pic up a HRC or R.E. billet clamp for a smaller dia. hose? Seems like the stocker is set up for the fatter stocker rubber hose.

-t

It wouldn't hurt, but even if you have to wrap a piece of electrical tape and clamp over it it to get it to stay in place for right now, you have to stop the rubbing.

I just installed the same hose on my bike and had no problem using a Zeta (stock size) lower fork guard hose clamp on the lower portion of the brake line. I clamped the rubber portion of the line towards the bottom.

Thanks guys. That appears to have worked. Man what a "DUH" moment.

Bummer the damage is already done to the rubber coating.

-t

Thanks guys. That appears to have worked. Man what a "DUH" moment.

Bummer the damage is already done to the rubber coating.

-t

Use some shrink tubing to fix it.

Guys,

I installed a brand spanking new fancy Galfer (from Tusk) front brake line on my X and I'm having troubles with it. The line is sliding up and down inside the outer housing. This is allowing the hose portion (from fork protector to caliper) to build up excess slack and in turn it is hitting the spokes on my front wheel. I've got about 5 hours on it and in that time it has already worn the fancy-shmancy red coating off the line where it has made contact with the spokes and bottom of the the outer fork.

Makes sense that you would be able to slide the line within the outer sleeve to adjust it as needed for installation, but once it's set up you'd think there would be a way to lock it in place. As it is right now, everytime the suspension gets compressed it's pushing that little section of hose out and taking away the slack above the number plate.

Any suggestions? I don't think I can tighten the 2-piece clamp on the fork slider tight enough to keep this from happening.

Thanks

-t

Take a section of fuel line same length at the clamp. Cut the fuel line on one side and put it over the SS brake line. Tighten the clamp over the fuel line hose (which can be placed anywhere on the SS brake line if that makes any sense).

Take a section of fuel line same length at the clamp. Cut the fuel line on one side and put it over the SS brake line. Tighten the clamp over the fuel line hose (which can be placed anywhere on the SS brake line if that makes any sense).

Ive used this trick a lot! Works great anywhere that abrasion is a worry. Even used a chunk of black garden hose to protect a carb boot that had some frame rub issues.

Ive used this trick a lot! Works great anywhere that abrasion is a worry. Even used a chunk of black garden hose to protect a carb boot that had some frame rub issues.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Great minds think alike. I'll usually run SS front brake lines so I'm used to the OEM clamps on the fork guard not being small enough to clamp the line.