Sign in to follow this  

ttr 125 idle problem

I have an 04 ttr 125 and it wont idle. It will only idle on choke for a short period of time. I would think that it needs to be richend up, but it already fouls plugs because it is running to rich. I went into the carb today and cleaned all the jets with CLR and tried a bunch of settings on the idle screw. still wont work. The jets in it are a 105 main and 15 pilot. any ideas?

Changing the jet sizes to 110 main and 17.5 pilot seems to be a cure-all for this bike. I'd try that first since they're only about $7 total.

Even though you cleaned them, they could still be slightly plugged and causing problems.

Overfilling the float bowl may cause flooding. Does fuel drip from the overflow if you leave the bike sitting(not running) with the petcock on? Check the fuel hight in the bowl with a clear plastic tube connected to the drain port looped up past seam in the bowl. With the drain screw open, the level should be about 3mm below the seam.

You can also get large can of Gumout carb cleaner with a lift out basket. It is just smaller than a gallon paint can and sells for ~$25.00. Worth its weight in gold. Disassemble your carb and soak overnight. Can swell rubber if you leave it longer. I also removed the bowl gasket and set it aside. Blow out the parts with compressed air. Just a warning, carb cleaner melts rubber gloves.

Changing the jet sizes to 110 main and 17.5 pilot seems to be a cure-all for this bike. I'd try that first since they're only about $7 total.

Even though you cleaned them, they could still be slightly plugged and causing problems.

I dont think that is the problem because it's already fouling plugs. so richening it up probly wont help. or is there something i dont know?

I dont think that is the problem because it's already fouling plugs. so richening it up probly wont help. or is there something i dont know?

Supposedly the TTR is jetted really lean from the factory and I think yours has the factory size jets in it. Is your air filter clean? If it's really dirty could cause a rich condition.

All I know is mine had similar problems with not wanting to idle and being really cold blooded. I replaced the jets in mine with 110/17.5 and it turned it into a totally different bike. Starts instantly and doesn't even need the choke.

There's a jetting forum around here somewhere too.

Ya i cleaned the airfilter. did not help. even tried running it with the filter off for a bit and did'y help. My bike isn't cold blooded at all. sstarts easily and runs great. warms up very very quickly too. i think it needs smaller jets personally. any more ideas?

pull the spark arrestor and make sure the screen isn't plugged with spooge. dansvs suggestion of making sure the float is set correclty is on the money. Did it just start doing it or has it always run like that? Did someone clean the jet and open it up too much? i have heard they sometimes have an insert that can be dislodged if you try and clean them with a wire. Take your jets out and bring them to a shop and compare to new ones. (or just buy new ones and put them in). What does the plug look like? Is the bike smoking (oil blow-by fouling the plug)

the bike has run like that since i got it. and yes the bike blows some smoke out the back.

Generally, blue smoke is oil burning and black smoke is a rich condition. Could be burning oil and fouling plugs. Can you post a picture of one of the fouled plugs?

I have an 04 ttr 125 and it wont idle. It will only idle on choke for a short period of time. I would think that it needs to be richend up, but it already fouls plugs because it is running to rich. I went into the carb today and cleaned all the jets with CLR and tried a bunch of settings on the idle screw. still wont work. The jets in it are a 105 main and 15 pilot. any ideas?

The pilot is plugged clean it with carb cleaner, better yet replace with 17.5 I did and totally different bike the pilot gets plugged really easy so keep some additive in the fuel amsoil quikshot se works the best keeps the carb clean havent had a problem since I changed pilot and keep the additive in the fuel.

probably because your'e using the choke to idle its fouling the plug.