Sign in to follow this  

First track experiance,have questions

Went to my first track this past weekend. Been a long time trail rider and two tracker. Took me awhile to get use to it did about 15-20 laps in the course of the day. No more then 5 laps at a time. I've found my weaknesses turns and, ruts and ofcourse when they're combined(rutted turns) I'm just screwed . on my last lap I dumped it four times all in turns with ruts by that time i was just like ok better just stop now. I was suprised at how good I was on whoops and did OK on the jumps theres a nice double that you were able to build some speed up to and I usually got on it and a couple times I didn't let off like i thought i would(got scared sometimes) so what are some tips you guys have for ruts and turns. any other tips are helpful aswell:thumbsup: thanks

welcome to the addictive world of moto. there's always room for improvement......

for turns and ruts try looking to the exit or end of the section. most improvement comes with seat time. don't get injured and lose time at the track. take it easy and have fun improving.

btw my 1st time at a track i fell 6 or 7 times..... on the 1st lap. it was hard on a 40 y.o. body

Be really smooth with the throttle throughout the rut, try and get your inside leg up and towards your front fender. Dont look down at the rut, look through it. By the time you enter it you should be looking at the exit. Always look where you want to go, dont look where you actually are. You'll be surprised at how much better you'll be through the rut if you look to the end and then past it.

I use to crash all the time, totally rashed up my first MX bike, though being only 32 yo, its not so bad... LOL :thumbsup:

Riding on the track is a never-ending learning experience. Every day the track throws something new at you, wether its the condition of the surface or even the track changing configuration. Its all about being comfortable with your base skills and building upon them at a reasonable pace. If it takes you a year to corner well and another year to jump well, thats an amazing time frame for an MX rider.

When you start riding more, come back and ask more specific questions and someone will answer. There is a lot of good information in this section of the forums, I'd just go back a few pages and see if someone else brings up a topic that interests you.

one rule of thumb I play by and encurage my friends to play by is.. When you say/think One more ride.. you should just pack up and either go home or rest waiting for your other friends to get to the point of "one more ride".

Most injuries are from mistakes due to fatigue, and the one last ride is an indication that you're tired and now 10x more likly to make a mistake resulting in injury!

one rule of thumb I play by and encurage my friends to play by is.. When you say/think One more ride.. you should just pack up and either go home or rest waiting for your other friends to get to the point of "one more ride".

Most injuries are from mistakes due to fatigue, and the one last ride is an indication that you're tired and now 10x more likly to make a mistake resulting in injury!

+1

Best riding advice ever!

Every time I think/say 1 more ride and then do so, I almost always crash and get hurt or break something on the bike.

Quit once you think "Alright, 1 more and I'm done". It will save you a ton of pain and money.

Edited by chasemotox63

thanks for the tips hope to get back to the track soon. rode there last saturday about wendsday this week I stopped hurting:lol:. was my hips and thighs mostly, any idea why? Next time i go i gotta try and keep my elbows up. and so true about the one more lap thing, thats something i've always said.

one rule of thumb I play by and encurage my friends to play by is.. When you say/think One more ride.. you should just pack up and either go home or rest waiting for your other friends to get to the point of "one more ride". !

ROFL!!! :thumbsup:

Yea, that whole "one more ride" thing, I usually ride until I can't hold onto the bars anymore.

Once you get proficient at motocross, its all about going quicker and quicker. It becomes boring to just "ride around" the track for fun and when you can't take riding at 110%, you kinda pack up and go home... If you don't, you're just asking for trouble the next day!

rode there last saturday about wendsday this week I stopped hurting:lol:. was my hips and thighs mostly, any idea why? Next time i go i gotta try and keep my elbows up. and so true about the one more lap thing, thats something i've always said.

In terms of being in pain post riding, yea thats motocross for ya. You'll be hurting from places you don't even know exist on your body, muscles that haven't been used for quite sometime in most cases. Motocross is considered a "full body workout" and as you come to terms with it over time, you will realize how true that really is. I ride 2 - 3 times a week and I tell ya, I get really sore still! :confused:

When i first started riding tracks rutted turns scared me also. I always tried to miss them or find the samlest one, sometimes causing me to do stupid thinigs and crash. The key is to like the ruts, try to find the best one and go for it. Most ruts are your friend with better traction. You need to learn to ballance while in a rut. If you are starting to lay over, get on the gas. If you are rideing up out of the rut use some brake. It also takes a while to get used to leaning your bike over as much as you need to. Your suspensions setting also make a big difference. If you keep riding up out of the rut try less sag or more HS comp on the shock. This made a huge difference on my 97 (that is known for doing this), the HS comp on the shock is like a ride height dial for the rear. you can go from knifing in to plowing with just a turn on the adjuster. it has many complications also but it can be used as a great diagnostic tool for the handling.