Sign in to follow this  

2011 x250f headshake problem

My son has a 2011 kx250 f and he is complaining there is quite a bit of headshake on high speed runs. He races a mix of SX and MX.

I had set the sag on the rear at 100 mm as required and tried to set the sag or riding height in the front at 52 mm. I took out 10 clicks on the spring preload to get it close. It still was not quite at 52 more like 45 mm.

Problem is the kid is only 135 lbs so I figure he may need a lighter spring so the front can sag that much with his weight on it.

In the mean time, ( I will order the rigt spring ) I was thinking to drop the forks in the triple clamps possibly 10mm or so to help eliminate some headshake ( I had done this to my bikes and worked )

Any comment on first of all the head shake problem and secondly about dropping the forks in the clamps a bit to help ?

Many thanks guys.

Alan

Yup re-spring is in order for that wieght......Also tighten up the steering stem nut so that it barely moves under its own weight....

Yup re-spring is in order for that wieght......Also tighten up the steering stem nut so that it barely moves under its own weight....

when mentioning of tightening this doesn't compress or put unwanted pressure to the bearings?....just curious...

theres a point of unwated pressure yes but at the point it would be so hard to turn the headset you wouldn't like it anyways

no it will be fine...My son is riding my old 07' this year.When it was sprung for my wieght he got massive head shake. He wieghs 115lbs thou. Once i resprung it for his wieght the head shake went away for the most part.....

^ yes springs are way off. first off call factory connection tell them his wt. and they will send the right springs(they are always spot on) front and back! once you get the right ones 105-108mm of sag is were you want to be.

that's using a bandaid over a problem..

fix the problem not cover it up

too many times have I heard guys talk of using a stabilizer, set the suspension up first...

I thought rasing the forks makes the headshake worse. Not sure on these new type of forks.

?????

In the old days, the suzuki's had a really bad problem and it was solved by dropping the forks 1/2 inch or so.

hmmmmm.

Al

I thought raising them made it corner a bit tighter/better in some cases but in turn increased headshake. Thought lowering them in the clamps woudl help with head shake but make turning worse.

too many times have I heard guys talk of using a stabilizer, set the suspension up first...

I agree, but a stabilizer has lots of benefits when the bike is pushed hard.

It has no negative traits.

And you can set the forks high in the clamps to better the turning, and still not suffer head shake in braking bumps at the end of fast straights. What can be bad about that?

lowering the fork hight increases cornering abuility in my book.

maybe Im getting too old but that is what we used to do for tiht tracks.

lowering the fork hight increases cornering abuility in my book.

maybe Im getting too old but that is what we used to do for tiht tracks.

When i meant raising the forks to help cornering I meant bringing them up higher int he clamps. When I mentioned lowering them I meant essentially raising the front end.

Setting the fork tubes higher in the triple clamps is what I mean.

essentially lowering the front end.

Just wanted to let you know I noticed a bit of headshake with my 11 I picked up friday. I hadnt set the sag yet, so i'm not sure if thats going to cure it. Broke it in, and now have the sag set, will post back with its results. It should deffinitely help just dont know if it will totally cure it.