Changing front sprocket

Hey guys, I have an 09 yz250f. I am changing out the front sprocket and was putting more torque on it than I thought it should need to loosen it. Are these normal threads(Lefty loosey)? I'd feel like an idiot if I stripped the threads on the shaft.

Yes, they're normal threads. I assume you have the sprocket jammed so it won't spin? Have you bent the lock washer tab up?

I also use some red Locktite on mine. ( impact helps )

Normal threads, i leave the chain on and stand on the foot pegs of my bike an step on the rear brake an use a tourque wrench to get the nut on an loosen it.

I don't like putting it in gear so the countershaft wont spin.

Impact is the easiest though.

I also use some red Locktite on mine. ( impact helps )

there is NO need for red loctite.. Torque to spec, done.

If you locktite the splines of the countershaft it will prevent the sprocket from wearing the splines. A good tip for a bike you plan to run for many hours.

If you locktite the splines of the countershaft it will prevent the sprocket from wearing the splines. A good tip for a bike you plan to run for many hours.

As some bikes have there engine sprocket held on with nothing more than a circlip I very very much doubt if this is worth the effort ! oh and plus the fact it serves no gain what so ever and even if it did work changing sprockets at a later date would then become a right pain in the ass