Sign in to follow this  

Changing front sprocket

Hey guys, I have an 09 yz250f. I am changing out the front sprocket and was putting more torque on it than I thought it should need to loosen it. Are these normal threads(Lefty loosey)? I'd feel like an idiot if I stripped the threads on the shaft.

Yes, they're normal threads. I assume you have the sprocket jammed so it won't spin? Have you bent the lock washer tab up?

Normal threads, i leave the chain on and stand on the foot pegs of my bike an step on the rear brake an use a tourque wrench to get the nut on an loosen it.

I don't like putting it in gear so the countershaft wont spin.

Impact is the easiest though.

If you locktite the splines of the countershaft it will prevent the sprocket from wearing the splines. A good tip for a bike you plan to run for many hours.

If you locktite the splines of the countershaft it will prevent the sprocket from wearing the splines. A good tip for a bike you plan to run for many hours.

As some bikes have there engine sprocket held on with nothing more than a circlip I very very much doubt if this is worth the effort ! oh and plus the fact it serves no gain what so ever and even if it did work changing sprockets at a later date would then become a right pain in the ass