rode a 2009 crf450r and I got some questions!!

my brother picked up a new 09 450r for cheap. I have a 2005 450r with everything that can be done it done to it.

we went riding on the lake bed which was pretty much mini sand dunes.

I took his bike for a ride and it was amazing. first off, it handled/steered amazingly. It felt so light and nimble compared to my bike. it made me lose a little respect for my bike. I thought my bike was perfect.. until I rode this stock 09. it felt smaller, softer, turned sharper, tires had better grip, everything.

one thing I noticed on the 09 is its 2nd and 3rd gear definitely arent very strong... but im just used to my 05 which is stage 2 cammed, exhaust, intake, clutch, valves, yadda yadda.

funny thing is when we raced the stock 09 450r kept up with my modded 05 450r!!! I dont know if it was because of traction in the sand but it even beat me a few times!!!

so I was wondering. why was the 09 450r so much easier to ride and so much more nimble than my 05 450r? made my bike feel like a tank* riding the 09 kinda felt like I was on a 125 but with more power!!!

* I probably have 50 lbs of aftermarket parts on the bike

even though ive had my 05 for almost 3 years now. been through 2 top end rebuilds. spent about 15k on it and have everything that can be done to it, I thought it was prefect, I was totally happy with it... now I want to get a 09 or newer 450r!!!!:thumbsup::cry::confused:

I feel your pain, I had a very good running 07, then decided to ride a buddy's 2011 model, and fell in love with fuel injection. I found a great deal on an 09, so I bought it. I too felt that 2, and 3rd gears were to short for me, so I had Eddie Re-Map mine, and boy what a difference. It's the best $50.00 you will ever spend. Now the bike has great power down low, with plenty of over rev and now 2, and 3rd gears are awesome.

I took his bike for a ride and it was amazing. first off, it handled/steered amazingly. It felt so light and nimble compared to my bike. it made me lose a little respect for my bike. I thought my bike was perfect.. until I rode this stock 09. it felt smaller, softer, turned sharper, tires had better grip, everything.
o I was wondering. why was the 09 450r so much easier to ride and so much more nimble than my 05 450r? made my bike feel like a tank* riding the 09 kinda felt like I was on a 125 but with more power!!!

Take all that shit off and try it again with new tires...

And just because you did a bunch of bolt on motor work doesnt mean it makes more power. Might make less!!

Power to weight is a HUGE factor! My 09 weighs in with a full tank and me in gear at 362lbs. Needless to say it's retarded fast! I've ran some modded CRF's that "should" make more power and pulled away from them with the front tire off the ground.

and yet people still think their 08 is the best bike ever made just because some magazine said so

Haha...... last year I sold my modded 05 and got an 09 after my buddy let me ride his. The 09 just handles sooo much better and seems way easier to ride. I couldnt be more happy after the switch.

Take all that shit off and try it again with new tires...

And just because you did a bunch of bolt on motor work doesnt mean it makes more power. Might make less!!

ok ok, I see.

BUT. how am I supposed to loose things that are a necessity IMO? skid plate. need it. vapor speedo.. dont need it but I love it too much! scotts stabilizer and 1 inch risers. pretty much need it. bark busters. pretty much need them too. steel rear sprocket, too cheap to replace aluminum every 5 rides. does all that stuff really make a significant difference?

now that I think about it, you could be right about the power. it does have SS intakes... but a stage 2 cam and pro circuit t4 exhaust. full barnett clutch, jd jet kit. so I think its stronger than stock.

either way, with a few small mods on the 09.. i think I would rather ride that then my 05. thats scary. I said I would never get rid of the 05... oh no!!!!

Power to weight is a HUGE factor! My 09 weighs in with a full tank and me in gear at 362lbs. Needless to say it's retarded fast! I've ran some modded CRF's that "should" make more power and pulled away from them with the front tire off the ground.

what? how is that possible? my bike weighs 250~ and im not big and im 108 + 20 lbs of gear. thats 450+ how are you 100 lbs lighter?!?!

Haha...... last year I sold my modded 05 and got an 09 after my buddy let me ride his. The 09 just handles sooo much better and seems way easier to ride. I couldnt be more happy after the switch.

I know, but why!?! why does it handle so much better?!

and yet people still think their 08 is the best bike ever made just because some magazine said so

There is a considerable difference between a 05 and 08 when ridden back to back. I have not ridden an 09, which could be better but IDK.....but the 08 is badass.

when was the last time your 05 had the suspension serviced? Has it been sprung properly now that ya have 50lbs of "stuff" on it? Would be a fair comparo after the 09 had all the "extras" added (but doubting it is anywhere near 50lb). My hare scramble machines have most of what yours has.. Skidplates, bark busters, clock (well, mines a $10 digital Wallmart watch taped to the bar), steel sprocket.. 10lbs?? maybe.

Suspension is where it is at.. setting sag, linkage good and lubed, proper psi of Nitro in the shock, good fork bushings (they wear..really..), new fork oil occasionally (2-3x as often as the shock)..

Kyle Regal's dad told me the 08 CRF450 is the best bike ever made. Said Kyle could podium a National today on a stock 08 with just revalved suspension.

Power to weight is a HUGE factor! My 09 weighs in with a full tank and me in gear at 362lbs.

You must be talking about your 600RR :thumbsup:

what? how is that possible? my bike weighs 250~ and im not big and im 108 + 20 lbs of gear. thats 450+ how are you 100 lbs lighter?!?!

That comes to 378, not 450.

You must be talking about your 600RR :thumbsup:

This is what the local farmers scale shows when I pull up on it. Might not be 100% accurate, but im sure its somewhat close.

steel rear sprocket, too cheap to replace aluminum every 5 rides.

What?! Something's really wrong if you have to replace that often

My brother bought a brand new 2008 at the same time I bought a 2009.

Riding the bikes back to back, you'd swear the 2008 would smoke the 2009 in acceleration. The carb bikes have an explosive hit in the lower middle range that "feels" very fast. The injected bikes feel almost electric, very linear power delivery. When ridden side by side, the 2009, hooks up and pulls 2-3 lengths on the 2008 consistently. ( switching riders back and forth)

All the power in the world isn't going to do you any good if you can't hook up and get it to the ground and control it.

Handling? Yeah, the 2009 had some issues, but it is so much more enjoyable to ride then the earlier tanks (in my opinion). Nimble, easier to flick around in the air and doesn't have the tendency to want to stay upright when cornering due to high rotating mass that the earlier bikes exhibit.

:thumbsup:

I agree with CamP, 08 crf 450 is the best bike ever made! I revalved my suspension & it's a machine.

I agree with CamP, 08 crf 450 is the best bike ever made! I revalved my suspension & it's a machine.

Or you can revalve the 09 like i did and everyone with 06-08 bikes say mine blows theres away. :thumbsup:

When my son was on the 08s he loved them but after his first lap on his 09 he was in shock. He couldnt believe how much more he like it.By about his 5th lap he was going faster and looked like a whole new rider.

When he came off the track he had a huge smile and said that it feels like the fastes 250f in the world.

I think the 09 and up bike seem to fit the smaller riders better and my son is only 5,5 @120 pounds.

He did say that his 08 felt like it had a little more motor though.

When my son was on the 08s he loved them but after his first lap on his 09 he was in shock. He couldnt believe how much more he like it.By about his 5th lap he was going faster and looked like a whole new rider.

When he came off the track he had a huge smile and said that it feels like the fastes 250f in the world.

I think the 09 and up bike seem to fit the smaller riders better and my son is only 5,5 @120 pounds.

He did say that his 08 felt like it had a little more motor though.

My dads 08 450x feels like it has more motor to me. I think it has to do with the gears.