Sign in to follow this  

New 2011 DRZ400S Owner

First of all I gotta say wow where the hell have I been!!!!!!! This thing is an absolute blast when it belongs to you. Test rides around the block do it absolutely no justice. I bought the bike to commute to and from school with the 65MPG thinking it would be an ok commuter but after two days of riding I really don't want to get off. Coming from a racetrack superbike mentality I figure this couldn't live up to the excitement but it does just in a different way. I think what I'm gonna end up doing is throwing on a set of WARP 9 17's so I can run some street only tires for my commute, full Yosh exhaust, Yosh CDI, FCR39, SS brake lines, and a radial master. SXV mirrors and a Procycle rear tail light and license plate holder and calling it a day. Thought about Yosh big bore but kinda defeats the purpose to why I bought the bike. Oh well but just wanted to introduce myself so hi. Have a good one people!!!!!

Andrew

I'm on my second only because the first was stolen. Yesterday I did yet another 298 mile loop across every kind of terrain. Mechanically mine's stock ('07 400s) and frankly it's a blast!! Just wait, you haven't even started the addiction yet. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club. I'd go slow on the mods. The bike is so much fun you will not want to miss a day because your bike is in pieces. I've already spent too many nights this spring worried if I will not get my bike running. FCR39 will cut mpg's a little and I don't think the yoshi CDI box will do much. I have the yoshi tail light, it's so dim, it sucks.

Welcome to the TT party....:confused:

He is a list of things to do for your new ride...Enjoy...:thumbsup:

Locktite fix the counter shaft sprocket, counter balancer nut, primary nut, stator screws, flywheel/starter gear fasteners.

Remove the rear suspension and swing arm, clean and grease the bearings.

Remove the steering stem , clean and grease bearings.

Do the free power mod.

Install a Manual cam chain tensioner.

Install Case Savers

JD Jet kit for the stock BSR36 carb and the 3x3 air box mod.

Install SS brake lines front and rear.

Re Spring and valve suspension to suit your riding.

Install MRD SSW exhaust

When you can afford it, go for 94mm Big Bore kit ,4mm stroker crank , big valves, RHC stage 2 valve spring kit , Head Flowing, RHC 187 cams, FCRMX41mm Conversion kit. ,SSW Super Start kit...

Or just put on case savers (the shift and brake levers can punch holes in the case if you drop it and the savers are cheap) and a better skid plate (it's an S after all) and enjoy it!

Welcome to the TT party....:confused:

He is a list of things to do for your new ride...Enjoy...:thumbsup:

Locktite fix the counter shaft sprocket, counter balancer nut, primary nut, stator screws, flywheel/starter gear fasteners.

Remove the rear suspension and swing arm, clean and grease the bearings.

Remove the steering stem , clean and grease bearings.

Do the free power mod.

Install a Manual cam chain tensioner.

Install Case Savers

JD Jet kit for the stock BSR36 carb and the 3x3 air box mod.

Install SS brake lines front and rear.

Re Spring and valve suspension to suit your riding.

Install MRD SSW exhaust

When you can afford it, go for 94mm Big Bore kit ,4mm stroker crank , big valves, RHC stage 2 valve spring kit , Head Flowing, RHC 187 cams, FCRMX41mm Conversion kit. ,SSW Super Start kit...

All great advice and thanks. I think I'm gonna wait till my extended warranty is up before I locktite or teardown anything. Kind of a pain in the ass. Might look into the MRD SSW Exhaust though but 94mm big bore kit really defeats my purpose for the bike. I already have a fully dedicated trackbike with way more power than I'll ever need. The exhaust really to make it sound a bit descent because stock sounds like my kids DRZ70 and the FCR would help with the sluggish throttle. But who knows, I got a wild hair up the you know what to buy this bike so maybe the 94mm kit might be another one of those.