Sign in to follow this  

Foot placement on pegs when landing ?

I naturally land with the balls of my feet on the pegs. When I land hard, my ankles feel the stress. When I land with the peg under my arches, the landings seem like much less of an impact. Is this because my quadriceps are directly taking the impact without the ankles flexing?

What is the correct technique?

I generally ride on the balls of my feet ALL the time, unless when I'm in the air and I expect a hard landing. If so, I switch to the arches of my feet.

balls of the feet all the time unless it's going to be a hard hit, then arches.

this!!!

invest in some boots designed for mx... i wasnt comfortable spending $ on boots until i watched my friend break his ankle casing a small double. sg12's..... you wont regret it.

invest in some boots designed for mx... i wasnt comfortable spending $ on boots until i watched my friend break his ankle casing a small double. sg12's..... you wont regret it.

I have A stars... $350 invested in boots. I don't skimp on protection either. knee, shin, elbow, kidney, helmet, and hard plastic chest protector. :thumbsup:

+2. maybe try ankle saver pegs. i hear good things.

I have heard good things as well although, I have never seen anyone actually using them. If you are going to be landing on the balls of your feet on hard landings, I highly suggest you keep a set of crutches in the trailer. Casing a jumb while on the balls of your feet is asking for a busted up ankle. :thumbsup:

UNfortunatly I am not a balls of my feet rider. How ever if you can ride like that then you're better off.. It will add sortof an extra shock obsober for you.. How ever in the case of a hard landing you need to be on the archest to prevent hyperextension of your ankles..

Dunno why I can't convince my self to ride on the balls of my feet.. I've tried it I feel it help but I can't get comfortable with it..

• Like 1

UNfortunatly I am not a balls of my feet rider. How ever if you can ride like that then you're better off.. It will add sortof an extra shock obsober for you.. How ever in the case of a hard landing you need to be on the archest to prevent hyperextension of your ankles..

Dunno why I can't convince my self to ride on the balls of my feet.. I've tried it I feel it help but I can't get comfortable with it..

I have done this to 2 of my feet now,1 has been a year and still isn't healed proper.I have a bad habit of positioning my feet with the pegs close to my toes(I'm guessing thats what you mean by balls of you feet)I'm trying to relearn my riding technique and have the pegs in my arches all the time but its hard.Just last week I managed to lift off the pegs and where should I land but the balls of my feet and felt the pain in my ankle again.I have since been wrapping my feet in the boots to prevent the ankle from bending back but thats uncomfortable,Its either this or not ride and I choose to ride.

I agree 110%. I got a pair of SG12's and they make a big difference in your riding technique. Best damn investment I could ever make.