Sign in to follow this  

2010 hard to start when "cool"... Capacitor wearing out?

First ride of each day always goes through the same routine where it runs then dies several times while charging the system. Before I think it would start easily after that initial moto, but lately it seems to go through the whole start-stall-start-stall-etc procedure each time I prepare to hit the track again. Granted, it is an hour or two between motos sometimes, but the time should be about the same as it used to be. Does the capacitor wear out over time?

How many hours are on the bike? And when's the last time you had the valves checked?

Yes, the capacitor does wear out just like any other part, although it should last the life of the bike.

i have had a similar situation, what i do is just kick the bike over a couple times to let it charge up and then it runs no problem, i dont know if this helps....

How many hours are on the bike? And when's the last time you had the valves checked?

Yes, the capacitor does wear out just like any other part, although it should last the life of the bike.

About 50 hours total, valves were fine at 30.

i have had a similar situation, what i do is just kick the bike over a couple times to let it charge up and then it runs no problem, i dont know if this helps....

Do you hold the kill switch or something? It starts right up and third kick or so, runs strange for a second then stalls. Then I repeat 2-3 more times.

About 50 hours total, valves were fine at 30.

Do you hold the kill switch or something? It starts right up and third kick or so, runs strange for a second then stalls. Then I repeat 2-3 more times.

No i just kick it over a couple times, as if you were looking for the compression stroke, but dont kick it hard like you are trying to start it, the capacitor doesnt need a lot of kick to get it to charge up:ride:

I go through the same thing when I first start my 2010. By accident, I found out that if I use the hot start a little (even when cold), it starts easier after a few kicks. Might be worth a try.