What are these?

These are off of a 07 ktm sx250f.

Im changing the seals and oil.

looks like a little valve. As I pushed the dampening rod in, some oil started to come out of it. Would that be inner chamber oil?

IMG_4627.jpg

Since it leaked a little when I pushed the rod in, what keeps it from leaking all the time, when the suspenion is compressed? Sorry for the questions, just trying to understand these things.?

That's a pretty cool design. I wish that the KYB's had something similar.

Perhaps then I wouldn't have to worry about replacing the darned free pistons due to cracking under extreme upper chamber pressure as oil slips past the leaky cartridge seals in all of them.

Edited by slodog
spell error

Sorry...little late to the party.

Just wanted to add that these tend to leak when they get a little dirty, caused in part by the o-ring getting a bit old and the fact that the spring is not strong enough...and...well..the dirt that gets trapped in there.

On the WP CC forks that we build up here we replace the spring and o-ring as to better seal the valve, which also provides us with the option for higher bladder charges. Let the debate begin.

We also include this update in the PHASE 4 kits.

In either case, it's always a good idea to clean them.

Lastly, the performance of this valve is also effected by how the bladder presses against the inside wall of the cartridge. If you slightly charge the bladder before inserting it, this valve leaks less or doesn't leak at all. If the bladder is folded over, the fold tends to provide a path for the fluid to exit out..challenging the valve.

That's it.

• Like 1