Sign in to follow this  

Stripped rear axle adjuster on 01' CR250R

Noticed the rear adjuster bolts on my bike were getting hard to turn. I wanted to clean them up so they adjust smoothly at the track. The wheel was removed and I slowly began turning the bolt out and it broke off. Has this ever happened to anyone? Aluminum and Steel don't go well. What would you do to back out the broken bolt? I recommend to everyone to put anti seize on their functional bolts.

v69ng.jpg

ZbA1b.jpg

Yep, happens. Different metals and also condensation collects inside the hollow of the swingarm. One of the 1st things to do to a bike is pull them out and anti-seize them and also redo it every few times you have the back wheel off.

When they break off they are a bitch to drill out because the bolt is hard steel and the drill bit keeps trying to walk off into the aluminum. Also, you've got that extra 4 inches of swingarm back there making it hard to reach with any normal drill bit and get on it straight.

you have 2 options.

They make a kit that drills out the broken bolt and then you use an oversized insert. comes as a kit with drill bit and all.

otherwise take the swingarm off and to a machine shop. Have them drill it out. hopefully save the threads. If not, they will use a helicoil to repair the threads.

Thanks for your input. The repair was made and the original threads were saved.

Make sure your threads are oiled or anti seize while the wheel is off!

IvBPl.jpg

Edited by greg-15
add image

Bitchen! I once had a swingarm that someone drilled out and put in a larger bolt. It looked like #$%#. Yours is the right way of doin it.

you have 2 options.

They make a kit that drills out the broken bolt and then you use an oversized insert. comes as a kit with drill bit and all.

whats the name of the repair kit?