Sign in to follow this  

Can I make it pro starting at 16

Ive been riding for about 3 years now and just barely am going to get a motocross trainer to help me out on the track and then start racing. I live in nevada so ive got some pretty big races around here and california. i just want to know the reality, can you make it pro if you start racing at 16 and 1/2. I have motocross and supercross tracks about 5 minutes away from my house so training everyday will be easier for me. Also a pro rider has a track about 1 minute from my house and said i can ride on the track. Even if i cant make it as a full time thing, is it hard to become kind of like a local pro?

yes vary hard at 16, but not impposible. you need to ride every day. and enter every race you can to start out with.

I know its going to be hard but ive got full family support and a lot of dedication, just going to need a lot of luck! but like i said I have about 3 different tracks to ride every single day, no fees or nothing

probably more locally, national i know those guys are crazy fast!

where in nevada. Luck will only help some time to make it even local pro you will need to develop skill and be prepared to get injured. racing and wining is the key if you want to become pro. you will be noticed there. i am not trying to discourage you. just put your head down and get to work enough talking just start doing while you still live at home.

I live in the middle of las vegas and mesquite. So world minis is a definite race next year plus california always has some pretty big races.

If you do it because you love it and you're passionate about it and don't care whether you turn pro or not, anything is possible.

If all you're thinking about is becoming a pro, it will probably hold you back...

haha you have no idea all i do is think about riding. I love dirt bikes, there is no better feeling for me than accomplishing something on the bike that i hadn't ever done. its my goal to one day make it pro, even if i never do though it'll be fun racing and seeing other parts of the US

I live in the middle of las vegas and mesquite. So world minis is a definite race next year plus california always has some pretty big races.

You're still riding mini's but talking Pro?

Priorities young man. Keep riding and training, but finish High School first.

Probably less then 0.01% of riders make the National level. An education is something required for the 99.99% that don’t make it.

To hell with that! You still have plenty of time!! but don't slack racing like I did!

I started racing at 18 1/2 in 2001. And I only raced more than 5 races per year in 03, 07, 08, 09, 2010 and I plan on racing all I can this year!

So I didn't take it seriously again until 2007 (at 25 years old), and I marked out of novice that year, marked out of the B's midway through 2009, which made me a local Pro/A after I turned 27 years old!

I will regret for the rest of my life not racing at least 70% of the races each season from 01 to 06.

No doubt in my mind I may have been racing in the AMA by now if I had!

You are still young! but start now and never give it up if that is what you want to do!! You only live once! Though it is a risky Sport, it is a lot of work to go big in MX and obtain a degree at the same time. Though I got the degree (which has not done me to well in this economy and I am still working hard labor) I did not race very much while in college from 01-07, I still made it Pro after racing more after graduating. So it almost seems as though you have to choose between a career, or to go big in MX! But I may be wrong...

But you are definitely not to late! and do not ever let anyone slow you down with negativity through words, if anything use that as fire to fuel your desire to ride and go big in MX!!

Also if you plan on going pro, I hope you plan on racing about every other weekend and riding at least 2 weekdays a week, and when you can't ride during the week, be running or riding a bicycle.

And always ride it like there is no tomorrow!!

Good luck in your future endeavors!!

Sorry for the book, but I am gonna end it with my favorite quote which I had printed on my new graphics, maybe it will give you inspiration.

"When your racing your living, everything else is just waiting"

Priorities young man. Keep riding and training, but finish High School first.

Probably less then 0.01% of riders make the National level. An education is something required for the 99.99% that don’t make it.

No world minis is just the name of the race. We dont ride like pit bikes in that race, its big bikes with some of the fastest riders in the world. Heres some info on it http://www.nmamx.com/content/world_mini_info.aspx

To hell with that! You still have plenty of time!! but don't slack racing like I did!

I started racing at 18 1/2 in 2001. And I only raced more than 5 races per year in 03, 07, 08, 09, 2010 and I plan on racing all I can this year!

So I didn't take it seriously again until 2007 (at 25 years old), and I marked out of novice that year, marked out of the B's midway through 2009, which made me a local Pro/A after I turned 27 years old!

I will regret for the rest of my life not racing at least 70% of the races each season from 01 to 06.

No doubt in my mind I may have been racing in the AMA by now if I had!

You are still young! but start now and never give it up if that is what you want to do!! You only live once! Though it is a risky Sport, it is a lot of work to go big in MX and obtain a degree at the same time. Though I got the degree (which has not done me to well in this economy and I am still working hard labor) I did not race very much while in college from 01-07, I still made it Pro after racing more after graduating. So it almost seems as though you have to choose between a career, or to go big in MX! But I may be wrong...

But you are definitely not to late! and do not ever let anyone slow you down with negativity through words, if anything use that as fire to fuel your desire to ride and go big in MX!!

Also if you plan on going pro, I hope you plan on racing about every other weekend and riding at least 2 weekdays a week, and when you can't ride during the week, be running or riding a bicycle.

And always ride it like there is no tomorrow!!

Good luck in your future endeavors!!

Sorry for the book, but I am gonna end it with my favorite quote which I had printed on my new graphics, maybe it will give you inspiration.

Thanks man that was seriously inspiring :thumbsup: but ya everyday ill be riding, weather gets bad on me ill run on the treadmill and my gym. Just wanted to see if it was possible. Im going to go with my trainer to a couple of different tracks just so he can tell me what im doing wrong so that when i enter a race ill be ready. Thanks

I find it funny that the word Pro has come to mean something totally different to Amateur riders.......I receive resumes from Pro...... C riders.

Pro means you hold a Professional AMA card and race Pro Supercross & Pro Nationals against racers likeWilson, Dungey, Stewart ect. .......not a local racer.

Now as to you becoming a Pro racer.....sure you can. You just need to focus on technique and have a good bike = $$$..... work your way thew C, B and become a Local A or Expert and go threw the AMA qualifications to become a Pro. This means you must race certain races like Loretta Lynns, Arena Cross and other Pro Am races.

John Down did not start racing till I think it was 18 and look where he took it to.

Yes you can, how committed are you? when you go to the track do you sit around like most guys and talk about how fast they are and how rad their bikes are? or are you out turning laps - with a purpose? trying different lines, working on techniques you are weak on.

Getting to the track is easy, entering races is easy, staying committed - well, thats going to go along way toward determining where you end up skill wise.

You might also consider some of the other racing, hound and Hare, grand Prix, etc, running those things will increase your skill set and your ability.

That's not the exact quote on your graphics, is it? With the misspelling?:thumbsup:

World Mini's is a pretty big Amateur National race held in Mesquite. He is likely not riding mini's anymore at 16 1/2.

Good luck :thumbsup:

That's not the exact quote on your graphics, is it? With the misspelling?:thumbsup:

:confused:

Speaking from the experience of a guy who played poker for a living for a short time: the biggest thing holding you back is in your head. You need to change your attitude, and right NOW. You want to race for a living? Stop asking people if you can, and start telling people that you do. What's the definition of a pro? Someone who makes their livelyhood at something. You won't see any of my poker play on TV with big name pros, or see any huge tournament cashes of mine posted on line, but guess what paid the car payment, the rent? Decide that you WILL acomplish the goal. Then work hard and don't lose focus. But if you want to be a pro rider, decide you are a pro rider, it's that simple, you just haven't gotten paid yet.