Sign in to follow this  

Stationary bike vs. treadmill

So im gonna get either of those soon, but really dont know which one is better. As stated in one of my older post, MY main goal out of this would be to loose weight, make my legs ALOT skinnier, and improve cardio. I was leaning towards bike, because running was never really my thing, but im open for opinions. And bike`s are alot cheaper.

get a mountain bike and have fun on the trails, thats what i like to do. they are also fun just riding around town. i bet you would enjoy a real bike a lot more. but either way a bike is better for the knees vs a treadmill. really its up to you, but i can say i love mountain biking and the results it gives. if you do end up getting a mountain bike you should go with a hardtail if not willing to spend more them $400, a good hardtail is better then a cheap full suspension. hope this helps.

I'm a big guy with bad knees, I have a treadmill and an exercise bike. All things equal I think the treadmill is a bit more taxing, If I go for a 30 min walk or a 30 min bike ride the walk seems to take a bit more energy. There's something about supporting your body weight and swinging your arms that makes it a little more of a workout. Walking is a bit harder on the knees than the bike, but not much. I like the Mtn Bike idea too but you do still have to take the weather into account. If you have the room buy both. You could probably get both off Craig's List for less than $500.00. Well, I'm off for a walk now!

If you are looking to loose weight, a treadmill burns about 3x more calories than a stationary bike for the same amount of time. It all about the effort you put into it, though.

Have you given much thought to an eliptical machine? On occasion my knees act up, along with my hips. With an eliptical, you get a more "oval" rotation. I don't feel any stress with this machine at all.

I thought about those but narrowed it down to these two. And im trying to mainly loose weight from the waist down.lol And I read thats pretty much what the stationary does. And the thing is, I can probably use a stationary 3x longer than a treadmill....

Ok, so looked around this weekend, and am now considering a elliptical over stationary. So now it between those two. So I'll ask again for new machine. Which one will help loose wait the fastest, improve cardio, and make legs stronger(not bigger)?

Here is my take on this. The real thing is always best, ie biking or running will always be superior to the machine equavilent. More fun and interesting as you get to see and interact with the environment. But if you need a machine for bad weather days, try a stepper instead of the treadmill or bike. I have had many a machine and actually wore some out, so I know a little about it. I find the stepper easy on the knees like a bike, but because with the stepper you can include an upper body work out at the same time which can provide a very good anerobic burn similar to a treadmill. Just another point of view. Good luck with whichever choice you make.

Have you thought about a rowing machine?

any gyms in your area? im just not motivated enough to workout at home and find that i get a better workout at a gym. plus you have multiple options there.

Thats was my original plan to do, but figured its not worth it, because there will probably be lines for every machine and take forever.

I started out at 340lbs a year ago. I'm currently at 278 and have done just want you are wanting. For the first 5-8 months I worked out moderate 3 days a week. I increased days and intensity about 3 months back and haven't looked back since. My daily life and riding of course has dramatically changed. The rowing machine is a total body workOut and you heart will pump as long as you push it. Greg at Concept2 is the real deal. He showed me

Different workouts and monitor set ups to keep you sweating for along time. Save your money and you'll be far happier with a C2 rowing machine. Especially if you want to ride harder, longer, and faster.

Cody

I started out at 340lbs a year ago. I'm currently at 278 and have done just want you are wanting. For the first 5-8 months I worked out moderate 3 days a week. I increased days and intensity about 3 months back and haven't looked back since. My daily life and riding of course has dramatically changed. The rowing machine is a total body workOut and you heart will pump as long as you push it. Greg at Concept2 is the real deal. He showed me

Different workouts and monitor set ups to keep you sweating for along time. Save your money and you'll be far happier with a C2 rowing machine. Especially if you want to ride harder, longer, and faster.

Cody

I agree. In Nov 2009 I was 217 lbs. My wife bought me a rowing machine on my request for Christmas that year. It was a cheap $350 dollar model. I wore it out in five months cause it was a piece of crap. I then found a Concept 2 model C on craigslist for $400 and it was the best money I ever spent. I have since put 1.6 million meters on it and lost 40 pounds. I lost the 40 lbs in about 8 months and have maintained my wieght since then. My doctor is impressed because my blood work is incredible, off the statin drugs, blood pressure is normal, I feel better, eat better and ride so much better than I did back then.

The C2 is the way to go. I have a high dollar elliptical that I do enjoy, I have a high dollar spin bike that I enjoy but rowing just plain rocks. You can burn the calories of a runner without the joint stress.

Cody

I agree. In Nov 2009 I was 217 lbs. My wife bought me a rowing machine on my request for Christmas that year. It was a cheap $350 dollar model. I wore it out in five months cause it was a piece of crap. I then found a Concept 2 model C on craigslist for $400 and it was the best money I ever spent. I have since put 1.6 million meters on it and lost 40 pounds. I lost the 40 lbs in about 8 months and have maintained my wieght since then. My doctor is impressed because my blood work is incredible, off the statin drugs, blood pressure is normal, I feel better, eat better and ride so much better than I did back then.

The C2 is the way to go. I have a high dollar elliptical that I do enjoy, I have a high dollar spin bike that I enjoy but rowing just plain rocks. You can burn the calories of a runner without the joint stress.

I am on the C2 rowing bandwagon also as it is way more total body and less boring compared to my elliptical. Start up the DVR for any outdoor moto or supercross and try to match 500m splits with lap times (outdoors). Right now I'm "mid pack". It's an easy 10-12 calorie/minute burn and you just go until you can't or when you feel like stopping.