Sign in to follow this  

88 XR600R Rear shock set-up?

I recently got my rear shock rebuilt on my 88 XR600 and now I'm trying to dial in the preload and rebound settings. And wonder IF I need a new spring. I should have thought of that while it was off the bike and apart but hindsight is always 20/20.

Anyhow the nitrogen remote has an adjuster (rebound?) and the bottom of the shock body has an adjuster (preload?). I've been playing around with them by starting both off in the middle of their range and going one click either way to see if I feel a difference. But I'm not having much luck getting a setting that feels right. Any advise on where to set them for mostly street riding with occasional trail time? Also I think the stock original spring MIGHT be a tad soft. I'm probably @ 240 lbs with gear and backpack on so should I have the spring spanners adjusted all the way down OR replace it with a new HD spring? If so, I looked on the TT parts store and there are no listings for springs to fit my year model. Where could I get one from if needed?

Sorry it's long........

The knob on the bottom is compression (IIRC, haven't looked at my xr in a month other than the motor). Preload is the two rings on top of the spring. You will need to jack up the preload, but you won't be able to get your race sag right with that spring. I weigh about the same as you and wasn't able to get it right without putting a 12.0 kg/mm spring on the rear. I got my spring from C Cannon racecraft. They wound a custom spring, powder coated it and shipped it for $130, not bad!

The knob on the reservoir is compression damping, knob at bottom of the shock is rebound damping. Adjust the spring preload so that you have about 1 - 1 1/2" of static read sag and 3 1/2 to 4" of sag when you sit on the bike. If you can't get this combination, a different spring is indicated. Set the rebound and compression somewhere in the middle of the adjustment and play with them until you have found the best settings for your type of riding. The fork spring preload, static sag and height in the triple clamps will also have an effect on handling.

You need a different spring for sure. Is 88 still the skinnier spring/shock? A guy on ebay had a bunch of new old stock Progressive Suspension springs (9.5-12.0) for sale. Bought 1 for my 85 XR350 and it's a nice improvement over the stocker. Been a few months, but worth a search. (they are hot pink......) :0)

thanks Mindblower here is the cut sheet info on the pink spring from ebay

01-1187PK/GT 600/700 lbs 10.71/12.50kg 9.75 248 2.00 51 more info can be found at http://www.progressivesuspension.com/literature.html

You need a different spring for sure. Is 88 still the skinnier spring/shock? A guy on ebay had a bunch of new old stock Progressive Suspension springs (9.5-12.0) for sale. Bought 1 for my 85 XR350 and it's a nice improvement over the stocker. Been a few months, but worth a search. (they are hot pink......) :0)

Up grade to the newer style shock. The older shocks aren't nearly as good as the newer piggy back style shocks. You can get a complete newer style shock for $100. I have two if you need one. One has a Eibach 12.5 KG spring on it

Up grade to the newer style shock. The older shocks aren't nearly as good as the newer piggy back style shocks. You can get a complete newer style shock for $100. I have two if you need one. One has a Eibach 12.5 KG spring on it

what years will work on a 88? I think 12.5 is for someone bigger than me at 260lbs or Jeff at 240lbs 10.5kg or 11.kg at most

I do like the old school adjuster on the 1988 just like the new BMW:lol:

Do they fit ok in the frame of the older bikes?

what years will work on a 88? I think 12.5 is for someone bigger than me at 260lbs or Jeff at 240lbs 10.5kg or 11.kg at most

I do like the old school adjuster on the 1988 just like the new BMW:lol:

Nope, 12.0 for me at 240lb is perfect. 12.5 be perfect for 260.

11.0 is for 220lbs.

Of course how you ride makes a big difference.

There direct bolt on and you get rid of the hose clamps holding on your reservoir. Look on Ebay they go for like $100 which is about the price of a new spring. I put on 99 600 forks/wheel/shock on my 88 and it made a HUGE difference front and rear. I have a stock spring as well from a 94 which I think is a 9.9KG ?