trueing spokes?

i have brand new stock rims off a 2010 crf250 and they were put on mine, but after a couple rids i notice the spokes are loose as hell. so my question being is, can i go around till there all snug then give em some tension my self, or should i have it proffesionally done?,

thanks for any help :thumbsup::confused:

somebody???

You'll want to true the rim, and torque the spokes.

If a few of them are loose, you're probably OK just torquing the spokes. If a lot of them are loose, I'd suggest loosening the rest of them, then starting over with the truing.

Not hard to do yourself, but it does require a lot of patience. And a decent spoke torque wrench.

ok, i tightened my loose spokes that same way and got my rim all sorts of funky and warped. So I did a little research on how to do it, and it too me about 20 mins to true mine up. By no means is it easy but here's a couple pointers

-find some instructional material on how to do it on the interwebs

-get a basic spoke wrench

-the sum of the forces about the hub must equal zero, i.e. whatever you do to one spoke, you must do the opposite to the spoke 180 degrees from that spoke (instructional stuff will tell you this too, extremely important)

-quarter turns at a time

-take your time

I happen to be a mechanical engineering major so the concept came relatively easy to me, but i don't think you'd have that much trouble doing it yourself, save the cash for some upgrades of something. Best of luck

:confused: no torgue wrench, nor do i have a rim wrench... there all pretty loose, and there brand new rims off a '10 crf250r !:thumbsup:, how much would it cost to have them tightened or trued or whatever, now im confused on terminology. dont have barely any more at all thats why im wondering if i could do them my self., i do have a small crecent wrench though hahaa

truing makes the rim a prefect circle, taking out wobble as well as high/low spots. tightenting them is much different, spin the wheels and look at the rim from the side, looking at a point on the rim edge, then spin the wheel, you shouldn't see that point move, the edge should stay at that fixed point you picked. Same idea, but look at the tire head on, spin the wheel, the tire shouldn't wobble side to side either.

if it's a perfect circle with no wobble, then truing doesn't need to happen, tightening is all, just go on youtube and search for it. All you'll need at least is a small crescent wrench that fit the spoke nipples. Basically you just tighten each nipple a quarter turn on every other spoke for one revolution of the wheel, the do the spokes you didn't do, still at a quarter turn, every other spoke. Takes two revolutions to do one wheel, pretty easy. Spokes need to be checked before you ride each time, but i check mine at least every other ride, definately something you could do yourself easily.

If the rim needs to be trued, about 100 bucks is a fair guess, just tightening, i'd imagine 30-50. seriously, just sit down and give it a shot first, of you screw up, THEN have a shop fix your mistake, but if you succeed, fixed it for free and you learned how to do it.

QUOTE=kawazuki250;10340152]truing makes the rim a prefect circle, taking out wobble as well as high/low spots. tightenting them is much different, spin the wheels and look at the rim from the side, looking at a point on the rim edge, then spin the wheel, you shouldn't see that point move, the edge should stay at that fixed point you picked. Same idea, but look at the tire head on, spin the wheel, the tire shouldn't wobble side to side either.

if it's a perfect circle with no wobble, then truing doesn't need to happen, tightening is all, just go on youtube and search for it. All you'll need at least is a small crescent wrench that fit the spoke nipples. Basically you just tighten each nipple a quarter turn on every other spoke for one revolution of the wheel, the do the spokes you didn't do, still at a quarter turn, every other spoke. Takes two revolutions to do one wheel, pretty easy. Spokes need to be checked before you ride each time, but i check mine at least every other ride, definately something you could do yourself easily.

If the rim needs to be trued, about 100 bucks is a fair guess, just tightening, i'd imagine 30-50. seriously, just sit down and give it a shot first, of you screw up, THEN have a shop fix your mistake, but if you succeed, fixed it for free and you learned how to do it.

thanks for the great a:thumbsup:dvice man helped alot, thats what im going do:worthy::thumbsup:

Glad i could help man, i had a ton of help rebuilding my bike and i know how helpful even being pointed in the right direction can be. Now get those wheels back in the dirt! lol

:thumbsup:

Glad i could help man, i had a ton of help rebuilding my bike and i know how helpful even being pointed in the right direction can be. Now get those wheels back in the dirt! lol

yea i know!, im itchin to get riding, i havent been since like febuary, and it dumped on us and it was freeeeezing cold, im ready to ride in some warmer weather now! :confused:, excpet this washington weather is bipolar

:ride:mission succesfull

:ride:mission succesfull

:thumbsup: you do it yourself? and yeah, this Washington weather is bipolar, i got out today because thunderstorms throughout the weekend now, ***. I'm on the eastside of the cascades, weather always seems to be weird here.

yupp, i did em myself :smirk:, i think i did an alright job, didnt have any bad feelings about it lol, yea i can see the cascades from my house, weather does look like its different over there, wierd how that works, i live over in west seattle, you go to tahuya? :smirk:

Good job man! and by east of cascades, i'm I mean i live in Spokane east, lol.

:doh:oh sh*t, brain fart lol