Sign in to follow this  

Any opinion on a 96 XR200R?

Recently joined (after lurking for sometime on tech issues regarding a PW80 and XR100 for the kids). My question is, does anybody have an opinion on buying an older bike? This particular one would be used by a 13 year old boy and 37 year old mom mainly on trails while camping and the property around our house. The boy has 3 years riding experience, and mom is just getting back into it after a 20 year hiatus. Any thoughts?

I had a 00' xr200. very good reliable bike. As long as the oil was changed it should be fine. Just listen to hear if the valves are clacking much or if it smokes at all. If it sounds like its running smooth and doesnt smoke its likey going to last a long time. Would be perfect for what your describing, but not for any serious riding or racing. I sold mine when I was just turning 15 as I could easily out ride the bike by then.

I had an 02 xr200r and it was a very good bike. Very easy to ride and fun at the same time. The xrs are basically indestructible. Just change the oil and clean the airfilter. You can putt along in he trails very easily. I kinda miss it when I'm in the muddy technical trails. It is very light and easy to control. The only thing that was bad is he brakes. They are awful! But who needs to stop anyways? haha

Good luck and be safe!

When I was 13 my first (consistantly running) bike was an 86 XR200. It was perfect for me then and I loved it. He will outgrow it eventually but I am sure mom will love it forever, as that's about how long they last. If my wife had any interest in 2 wheels that's exactly what I would buy her. She's stuck on quads...

Thanks for the input - the weight of the bike is what had me looking into it seriously, as we were looking at a CRF150 also and figured with the XR200 only being an inch taller but about the same weight, it would take him a little longer to outgrow it. Since I'm the mom, I'm already thinking it's perfect (I rode XRs as a kid). And since I'm the one with the money, he'll have to deal with it being a little "boxier" than the newer styles. The drum brakes are an issue - how much, I guess we'll find out.

I know this thread is a few days old but....

Don't worry about the brakes. I rode the holy hell out of mine for about 3.5 years-every day for two hours minimum would not be an overstatement. The thing has so much engine braking that I only changed the shoes once that I can recall. They stop the bike fine as it isn't a rocketship or anything.

There is a misconception that a bike must have big disc brakes to stop, this is incorrect...especially on a mild mannered XR200.

Great trail and fun bikes. I had an older one I sold a few years back and wish I still had it as a grandkid chase bike.

Same I had an 01 as a back up, loaner, play bike. For the purpose you want it they are great. If you have the extra money I would consider a TTR230 or CRF230 with electric start. Simple fun factor not having to kick it appeals to my wife. I don't see kick starting as a big deal but her point was if they make electric start, why kick it. I stared..............., blinked twice....................., and said yes dear.

Recently joined (after lurking for sometime on tech issues regarding a PW80 and XR100 for the kids). My question is, does anybody have an opinion on buying an older bike? This particular one would be used by a 13 year old boy and 37 year old mom mainly on trails while camping and the property around our house. The boy has 3 years riding experience, and mom is just getting back into it after a 20 year hiatus. Any thoughts?

In terms of the XR200, a 96 isn't an old bike by any stretch :thumbsup: I own an 81' XR200R and I drive the hell out of the ol' girl! Proper maintenance and OIL... they thirst for oil and if you keep it topped up they will run forever.

When I was a kid in 1982 I had a brand new one and the transmission went out twice in 6 months. I believe Honda had some issue with the transmission because they fixed it both times. My son had a 1990 and guess what, he also took the transmission out twice. (I guess he is "a chip off the old block".) For people who are not trying to ride them hard, they are probably a great bike. I doubt Honda has made any changes to the engine for years.

Just a thought.