Sign in to follow this  

Ruts

How do u really fast guys get through ruts so quickly? keep your weight forward or back? And how do u get through rutted corners also?

I'm not much help, but what works for me is: pick your rut as far out as possible, maintain speed or accelerate slightly, stand with the bike loose under you, don't look at the rut once you have picked you line and wait for it to be over. If the ruts are deep, then all bets are off get through them the by what ever means necsessary.

Rutted turns, this can be tricky. You really need to practice drifting techniques with rutted turns since your tires may get misaligned with the rut. I usually practice seated and standing with varying speeds and use the same technique for flat area ruts.

I need to get better at ruts and roots also.I get to fighting with them and before I know it I'm down and having to pich up my bike and get going again and a couple times of that and I'm done.................................

Get the front wheel in and if you feel the bike is climbing out just feather the front brake once. It keeps the bike from climbing out. Picked this up from a friend who use to ride and was pretty fast. Another suggestion is correct body position for entry and exit, check some of the motocross boards, lots of general rut info there. Not sure what kind of rut your particularly having trouble with but each is a little different.

for long straight or straightish ruts (not on a turn) i just look wayyyy past them at the next set of ruts or next obstacle and proceed like the ruts arent even there..

As for turns its all about ur front wheel placeent, keep the front wheel at the bottom of the rut and the rest of the bike will follow.

one of the best tips i got from watching the s.w. vids (i think it was his) was if your feeling like your gonna fall in a rut.. steer INTO the face of the rut on the side your falling too. This has been a HUGE help. Planting the front wheel into the side of the rut if you begin to fall, helps get the bike back upright. For everyone posting "stand up".. i bet a dollar to a barn door many of us are sitting with our feet paddling in some nasty ruts. You could actually have more control letting the bike float around yet be seated in a long rut. I don't think ya have to stand, and the lower center of grav. may be advantageous in this situation..

Shane Watts vids

That 2nd video with the guys (trying to) corner in ruts, is exactly how i feel, i don't fall down, but sometimes i'm slapping my feet/legs around like a little girl. (No offense to women riders)

My bike is in dang near showroom condition, so i either have to get a practice bike i don't care about, or (probably more logically,) DUMP this one i few times.

one of the best tips i got from watching the s.w. vids (i think it was his) was if your feeling like your gonna fall in a rut.. steer INTO the face of the rut on the side your falling too. This has been a HUGE help. Planting the front wheel into the side of the rut if you begin to fall, helps get the bike back upright. For everyone posting "stand up".. i bet a dollar to a barn door many of us are sitting with our feet paddling in some nasty ruts. You could actually have more control letting the bike float around yet be seated in a long rut. I don't think ya have to stand, and the lower center of grav. may be advantageous in this situation..

man i agree with that part, I think that I always kinda did it instinctively, but at the same time i didnt think it was the right thing to do, like it felt wrong.. But after watching the dirtwise vid i picked up on that and put it to use.. Just the other day we were in some knarly rutted stuff and i just didnt worry about ripping right through them and if it got hairy i jammed the side knobbys up against the rut and kept it pinned and it worked like a charm..

Of his whole first DirtWise video i think that was the tip i can use the most... The grinding thing is OK ive been workin on that.. Its another one of those things that ive didnt before instinctively, but now i do it a lot intentionally and it helps..def sped me up and gave me more confidence in gnarly ruts.

for sure, it is a tip that you can use A BUNCH.. pre jumping logs, getting over down logs that are at a 45dg angle.. those are just lots of practice. ruts you will see ALL the TIME.