Sign in to follow this  

2007 KX100 rear wheel

Just bought a 2007 Kx100 for my son. I was going over the bike and noticed the rear wheel moves slightly, less than an 1/8 inch, side to side like it needs a shim. I checked the axle and all parts are there, and torqued the axle nut. I can't feel or hear any grinding noise with the bearings. Also can't detect any vertical movement in the wheel. Is this normal or do I have a problem?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Not a problem. twenty minutes with a hammer, propane torch and a drift and pop in new wheel bearings. Might want to pull the swingarm and linkage off while you are close and service them before they start having issues also. I think the KX100 bearings are ones you can find at your local auto parts store if you need them quick.

ThumperMike....check the OEM parts diagram to see if you are missing something. I have never owned a motorcycle where I had side to side movement of the rear wheel. If I understand what you are describing, the only way i can see that happening is that you are missing a part, you assembled the parts wrong, or for some reason the rear swing arm is bent.

ThumperMike....check the OEM parts diagram to see if you are missing something. I have never owned a motorcycle where I had side to side movement of the rear wheel. If I understand what you are describing, the only way i can see that happening is that you are missing a part, you assembled the parts wrong, or for some reason the rear swing arm is bent.

You have never had a wheel bearing go out and the wheel clunk side to side? geez I'm changing at least one set on one of our bikes every month

If there is slop between the inner and outer race then the bearing is shot. If no slop and bearing moves smoothly I would check that the axle spacers are wrong or have been ran loose and have worn them.

You have never had a wheel bearing go out and the wheel clunk side to side? geez I'm changing at least one set on one of our bikes every month

lol, me too