Sign in to follow this  

"E" Exhaust Header on "S" with slip-on vs. "Full System"

Hi All,

As always...in advance thank you for all the shared knowledge.

I'm trying to get a bit more out of my 400s. Riding is about 60% off-road (desert, gravel, BLM roads, power-lines...I ride slow, 35-55 mph) and 40% street (around town, not much highway...again tend to be slow).

I've read a lot in Eddie's area about slip-on exhausts vs. full systems and it seems that just adding a slip-on (to an "S" model) doesn't really make much (any) difference because the header is still the restriction.

But...I think my question is...if I had an "E" header (which I've read is larger than the "S") then would adding a slip-on be a logical move? Or, is a full-system still going to be the 'best' because the header is even larger and the muffler is 'tuned' for that specific header?

Cost/budget is a factor here...seems a slip-on/"E" header could be found for less money than a full-system. But if there's still nothing to gain from adding a slip-on to an "E" header pipe then I'll just save my pennies for a full system.

I'm also wondering if I just geared the bike a little differently I would accomplish what I'm after (but that's a different topic I've also been reading up on). Probably to a certain extent but it still seems like the motor could do more work if it was opened up more with a free-flowing exhaust.

Have you done the 3x3 mod and jetted the stock carb properly? If not do that first or get the FCR-MX.

I am running the E head pipe with stock S muffler (I need quite for the woods) and when I did that I didn't notice much of a power increase. I recently installed the FCR-MX and the new carb makes a big difference (very noticable). If you have to do carb or pipe I would recommend the carb first and then the pipe as you can afford it.

I'm running 14/44 gearing on my street/fire road wheels and 14/49 on my single track wheels. 14/44 is a decent compromise until you get in the technical stuff.

You get what you pay for.

Slipons mostly are just loud, maybe a Hp or 2 max

Mediocre systems like an rs2/3 maybe get 3 Hp

SSW/MRD or Yosh Ti, as much as 5 (more on worked engines)

Is (for example) the header pipe on the MRD full system still even larger than an "E" header?

I've read a lot about changing the carb too. Definitely on the list, sorta doing this one step at a time.

Just seems like the 3x3 mod combined with a new exhaust would give a good bang for the buck. Will jetting for the 3x3 mod running stock exhaust sill be the same for a new exhaust? I haven't done the 3x3 yet because I don't want to have to rejet twice when I add a new exhaust.

I decided to go with the Muzzy full system on my 2000 E. I ride mostly street, but I wanted to be able to quiet it down for the woods. The Muzzy is fairly inexpensive and so that's what I decided to go with.

Someday I will get the MRD/SSW, but for now, I'm happy with my Muzzy. If you do a search, you'll see that the Muzzy full system actually did pretty good.

Just something to think about.

Steve

Is (for example) the header pipe on the MRD full system still even larger than an "E" header?

I've read a lot about changing the carb too. Definitely on the list, sorta doing this one step at a time.

Just seems like the 3x3 mod combined with a new exhaust would give a good bang for the buck. Will jetting for the 3x3 mod running stock exhaust sill be the same for a new exhaust? I haven't done the 3x3 yet because I don't want to have to rejet twice when I add a new exhaust.

SSW/MRD has a larger header than the E. I'm going to guess that you could probably jet for both, but realize that you'll probably be running a little rich before the exhaust.

That's probably what I would do if I were in your shoes. You could just throw an E header on there an you might be pretty happy. You can pick one up for about $50. I just sold mine last week.

Steve

The only bargain is to do the right thing the first time. It costs you double if you buy something mediocre or sub par, now and then rebuy the good system later when you want all the power potential that your bike can make.

Be honest about what your goal is...then do what you know is right for your goal...then buy based on that. If that means waiting a little longer to make your purchase...that is what I would do.

The low end full pipes and slip ons are mostly noise, 'poser pipes'. If budget is an issue, buy a used one.

If speed is your goal, first do an FCR, no ifs, ands or butts.

William, I thought noise = more power....I gained 5 hp today just by riding in a parking garage :thumbsup::):confused:. Of course it went away as soon as I left.

Based on all the satisfied customers I'll do the 3x3 and then start saving for a full exhaust and just buy a new jet if needed when the time comes. Not a big deal and it'll give me an excuse to pull the carb off again.

Thank you again all for the tips and advice.

My real goal is just to ride and have fun

I have an aftermarket "s" model White bros E2 muffler and bought a "e" model stock header and have realized they do not fit together due to the diameter at the connection point.

I went with a full FMF Q4 with a Power Bomb header. 3X3 with a JD Jet Kit. I couldn't be happier. Sound is is deeper without being loud, and good throttle response thru the whole RPM range. Installed on a 2006 DRZ 400s.

I went with a full FMF Q4 with a Power Bomb header. 3X3 with a JD Jet Kit. I couldn't be happier. Sound is is deeper without being loud, and good throttle response thru the whole RPM range. Installed on a 2006 DRZ 400s.

As happy as you are...your bliss is due to not having the realization of what you left on the table with your purchase. As long as you never find out...you will remain in bliss.

William, I thought noise = more power....I gained 5 hp today just by riding in a parking garage :thumbsup::):confused:. Of course it went away as soon as I left.

Based on all the satisfied customers I'll do the 3x3 and then start saving for a full exhaust and just buy a new jet if needed when the time comes. Not a big deal and it'll give me an excuse to pull the carb off again.

It's never fun to spend as much as your neighbor and get half the result. Just food for thought.

Where in Nevada are you? I'm in Sparks and if you do a 3x3 with stock exhaust I have some left over jets in my kit that could be of use to you.