Sign in to follow this  

Broken this broken that what else is next?

It seems lately my YZ250 is on a breaking rampage 3 weeks ago I went to go ride in Zephryhills and about 5 mins into riding my chain snapped. In fact it snapped so hard that it broke my case saver bolts and i had to get them out.

so last week the new chain and sprockets arrive and i get those on and go riding last weekend, 30 mins into riding my clutch cable lets go....

I have a new motion pro clutch cable on the way the old one was frayed and broken at motor and lever ends. I'm just curious once i install the new clutch cable should i check anything else to see if it needs replacing? Everything else looks good to me but who knows! I'm just tired of driving for 45 mins to go back home after 10 mins..... :thumbsup:

Seems like perhaps your clutch cable and chain were in need of replacing if they just broke like that... Or perhaps there was some other factor at play?

I know guys who will swear by replacing their chain every 15 hours, doesn't matter if they ride hard or soft. Other guys I know will slap on a new chain before each desert trip.

Also, I lubricate all of my cables. I just get some all purpose oil and carefully drip it down the tube and work the cable until it flows out the other side. Don't know if the MP cables come pre-greased or not, but that is what I do and it gives you a very smooth feeling. Seems like they last longer too, or maybe I'm not as aggressive on the clutch as others are...

Sounds like you need to spend a bit more time doing preventative maintenance. A winter teardown would likely have identified both of those issues.

-check bearings for play and adequate grease

-check spoke tension and look for rim cracks

-check all cables and levers for good mechanical condition

-check that all fluids are clean and full

-clean your air filter

-ensure that the carb is dirt-free and jets are clear

-check suspension for leaks around seals

-check chain stretch and tension and sprocket wear

I do this on a Monday or Tuesday before any weekend of riding so I have time to order parts if needed. The only parts that break on my bike are the ones damaged from crashing. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sounds like you need to spend a bit more time doing preventative maintenance. A winter teardown would likely have identified both of those issues.

-check bearings for play and adequate grease

-check spoke tension and look for rim cracks

-check all cables and levers for good mechanical condition

-check that all fluids are clean and full

-clean your air filter

-ensure that the carb is dirt-free and jets are clear

-check suspension for leaks around seals

-check chain stretch and tension and sprocket wear

I do this on a Monday or Tuesday before any weekend of riding so I have time to order parts if needed. The only parts that break on my bike are the ones damaged from crashing. :thumbsup:

+1

All good suggestions but if you're going to be a competition of some kind or a long DS ride, I'd do all these things and more every time.

And that cable didn't fray THAT DAY. It was bad for quite a while.

Thanks for the replies and yes I realize the cable was most likely on it's way out for quite some time. I went ahead and checked the throttle cable as well no frays or anything so i think I'm good on that. The new chain and sprockets seem to be holding up. And yes i clean my air filter after every single ride. Rad fluid is fresh and full and oil is clean. Hopefully i won't have anymore problems for a while.

Thanks for the replies and yes I realize the cable was most likely on it's way out for quite some time. I went ahead and checked the throttle cable as well no frays or anything so i think I'm good on that. The new chain and sprockets seem to be holding up. And yes i clean my air filter after every single ride. Rad fluid is fresh and full and oil is clean. Hopefully i won't have anymore problems for a while.

spokes and bearings :thumbsup:

Shift lever...is it tight?

:confused:

Spokes and bearings are tight and good. The shift lever however always had some up and down play. Is this normal? Or should I try to lock it in tighter.

Sounds like you need to spend a bit more time doing preventative maintenance.

:thumbsup::confused:

do this on a Monday or Tuesday before any weekend of riding so I have time to order parts if needed.

:worthy::busted:

Ever hear of that theory "Never buy a car that was made on a Monday or a Friday"? Maybe yours was mad on one of those days. Well Japan's culture is different so maybe not. It's weird how you can have two identical bikes and one has all of the preventative maintenance and TLC done to it and another that just sees new gas and dirt and not a single wrench but it's the maintained bike that always breaks down. Who knows man? Maybe you just have shitty luck?

I noticed that the clutch arm moves freely up and down without a cable and the cover removed. Is this normal? I'm curious because i don't know where else you would get tension in you clutch cable if the clutch arm moves freely by itself?