Sign in to follow this  

First Bike

Hi

I've just ordered my first Dirtbike, a WR250F...so i'm like a kid waiting for Christmas! Just thought i'd say hi as no doubt i'll be pestering you all in the near future!

Clive

Welcome aboard. Read up on all the Free Mods and do them all. It will be night and day. Ride it before you do the mods just for a fun comparison. That is unless they already come freed up in your part of the world.....

I plan to ride it 'choked' until I get familiar with the bike (been a while since I rode one!). Then roll on the free mods (and hopefully a few other mods wife permitting hehe)

Thanks for the welcome

I just got one too. Same plan with this bike, I want to see what I can do/it can do before I start doing the free mods.

I can tell you they are very pleasant down low, like anyone can ride it. You can then twist the throttle back for a good pull up about anything. I am digging the bike thus far.

Welcome guys. Both of you are going to love the bike. As far as the free mods the first one should be the throttle stop. You don't need to buy a new one just cut the old one. That mod by itself will produce the most noticeable difference. As far as the rest of the mods no single one alone will produce a big noticeable difference but done all together it is a whole different bike!! So be sure and do the throttle stop, grey wire, exhaust baffle, air box, and YZ cam timing. The YZ cam timing can be done on your bike but you need to grind 1mm off of the auto decompression stub and keep the same dome profile. Be sure and set your sag on your shock and play with the suspension settings

Thanks for the information Swede. Wouldn't happen to have a link to a thread with more information on grinding the auto decompression for YZ timing?

Thumper Rog - I can't tell you how much i'm looking forward to getting the bike! Going to be a long few weeks while I wait!

No I don't have a link but can tell you exactly how to do it. It took me a total of 25 mins to get the cam out, pin ground, and back in. It's a very easy job. Be sure the bike is at TDC. You'll see that there is 13 pins on the cam chain between the punch marks on the cams for YZ timing you want 12. You're going to rotate the cam clockwise 1 tooth to make it YZ timing. Before you can do that you need to grind 1mm off the decompression pin so take the cam out and onto the bench. Before taking the exhaust cam out get a zip-tie and fasten the cam chain tight to the intake cam so it doesn't move. With a micrometer or digital calipers measure the cam and pin. I used a dremel tool with a hard polishing stone and ground it down 1mm then rounded the top of the pin to keep the original rounded dome shape. When done clean the cam off, lube and install so that there is 12 pins between marks and go from there

Could you just buy a YZ decompression pin? How is the bike down low, mid range, and top after all these mods?

Thanks

Well it finally arrived today!! Been blasting round town for a few hrs (got to love a remote town without legal roads) and must say I love it.

right.jpg

The reflectors on the back have to go...shame they riveted the things on!

Well it finally arrived today!! Been blasting round town for a few hrs (got to love a remote town without legal roads) and must say I love it.

right.jpg

The reflectors on the back have to go...shame they riveted the things on!

Schweet !

Wait until you uncork it, you'll love it even more :ride: