Economy Wheel Balancing Stand

just got an economic wheel balancing stand from harbor freight.they are having a sale on them and,for a limited time,you can enter a coupon code "shop20" or "20coup"for an additional 20% off which basically saves you on the freight.$46.78 delivered.add a mag base and indicator and it can be used for truing as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-98488.html

Thanks for coupon codes.

I ordered this on May, 12, 2011 and the Balancing Stand was on BO.

I also ordered the 350 Lb. Motocross Dirt Bike Stand.

When I went to checkout, I entered the shop20 code and it discounted the Balancing Stand.

Then I entered the 20coup code and it discounted the Dirt Bike Stand.

On reading the customer reviews, apparently, Harbor Freight stuff is cheaply made. The bearings seem to be good which is what matters. The rest just hold the stuff so the bearings can do their job. One customer welded on support braces, which I can do also if needed.

As you did not mention stability issues, I am assuming that your unit was adequately stable?

I looked into this stand as well, but decided against it due to too many QC problems. Besides the the arms being out of square, the axle on a lot of these units is out of true because the axle is just sheared and NOT appropriately machined. The arms can be squared up by bending them, but if the axle is untrue, that is much more difficult to fix, if not impossible. Since I didn't want to spend $120+ on No-Mar's unit, I just decided to make my own stand for $55, and it works great.

Parts:

(1) 18" No-Mar axle & small hard chrome cones, very nice & high-quality - $37 delivered

(4) 10 mm ID x 35 mm OD bearings - $8 Fastenal

(1) 2x4x8, (2) small steel plates to mount bearings, misc hardware - $10 Lowe's

I got one of these Pit Posse stands. Works great for me, it has a 12mm axle, which was a necessity for truing the wheels for the pitbike. The listing says 13mm, but mine's exactly the same, and it's 12mm.

Truing Stand - Pit Posse

$(KGrHqN,!jkE2HK+Vn7gBNudibrQhQ~~_1.JPG

I just bought one of these. Didn't notice a difference after I balanced my wheels, but I don't care. I'm just proud of myself. I know my tires will last longer. No more paying someone else and waiting to get my wheels back.

I just bought one of these. Didn't notice a difference after I balanced my wheels, but I don't care. I'm just proud of myself. I know my tires will last longer. No more paying someone else and waiting to get my wheels back.

you didn't notice a difference in what?...shimmy?,vibration?wheel hop?on the trail?or on the highway?several things can cause these problems and they are not neccessarily related to wheel balance.but it can be a handy tool to have to help rule out several things.

alright,those old balancer reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt over the internet.the assertion that the balancer's axle shaft is "stamped" and possibly out of round is just silly.the shaft is straight and is faced-off to a point on each end where it fits into the divots on the bearing end plates to keep the shaft centered evenly over the bearings and prevent any excessive movement as the wheel is spun.the stands' arms lean in slightly when assembled to provide a slight tension to hold the wheel shaft in place.having the arms perfectly square is not essential to good performance as long as the wheel shaft is reasonably level.you may have to shim the base to prevent any rocking if it is warped.not a biggie.

it is not a stand made of solid billet like some expensive top of the line units but it is more than adequate for what it is.although it is stamped construction,the unit is heavy-gaged and weighs nearly twelve pounds assembled and more weight can be added to the base if desired.

I needed a balancer because i do a lot of highway riding and wheel balance is essential for stability and long tire life.up until i got the balancer i was doing it all on the bike which worked good but was a huge pain.now i can do it all at once while changing tires and i can leave it permanently set up.ymmv.

I thought the economy stand was YOUR DRZ AXLE and two buckets or lawns chairs or whatever ? it works great. why buy a cheap/crappy tool when your bike came with it for free ?

Ive balanced plenty of tires on two jackstands and an axle. It works well w repeatable results.

If your bearings arent up to snuff it may not work as well. if they are new and tight it may affect the balancing also

I can see some incremental added value from haveing the independant bearings on a balancer

alright,those old balancer reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt over the internet.the assertion that the balancer's axle shaft is "stamped" and possibly out of round is just silly.the shaft is straight . . .

Suggest you re-read my post. I said the axle was SHEARED, not stamped. And while your axle may be straight, others have not been so lucky.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?47818-Harbor-Freight-Tire-Balancer&p=828994&viewfull=1#post828994

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQIDAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwebcache.googleusercontent.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dcache%3A_tc5JkE3ouUJ%3Aforum.concours.org%2Findex.php%253Ftopic%253D61957.0%253Bimode%2Bharbor%2Bfreight%2Bbalancer%2Bmandrel%26cd%3D1%26hl%3Den%26ct%3Dclnk%26gl%3Dus%26source%3Dwww.google.com&ei=6yrNTeKmPIzogQfOvZm4DA&usg=AFQjCNH-6X1F5bc76TsgZKD_9g6auLKAQQ

I didn't want spend $50 and POTENTIALLY end up with a piece of crap, so I just decided to build my own for $55.

ok,sheared.it is not sheared then,the ends are faced-off to a point on each end.rolled the shaft on a pane of plate glass and it was straight.perhaps there was a design revision.i don't know.mine works.for $36.79 i'm not going to complain.i'm not so cheap that i have to do it on lawn chairs,buckets or jack stands.the hf balancer is way more stable than any of those adhoc methods.i was just passing this info along and untill you try one and see for yourself,you'll never know how well it works.it isn't an instrument that needs to be registered with the national bureau of standards and employed in a temperature controlled lab to get decent results.

So it sounds like you got a "good" one then. If I had been able to inspect the HF stand in person to verify the axle, etc., I might have bought one. However, the closest HF is over 60 mi away, so it would have neeeded to be shipped. Thus, even with the 20% coupon it would been ~$50 after adding S/H. I did not feel like taking a chance and getting a "bad" one shipped, so I just built my own. Problem solved.

I got one of these Pit Posse stands. Works great for me, it has a 12mm axle, which was a necessity for truing the wheels for the pitbike. The listing says 13mm, but mine's exactly the same, and it's 12mm.

Yup got the same one except it's an "economy" version without the actual stand (just roller thingies). Workes very well, if I spin the front wheel with any vigor it keeps spinning for like 5 minutes while on this stand, very low friction.