Sign in to follow this  

Riding technique help!!!

Hey all,

Im puttin a link up of me riding at the local track (sorry about the music in the second video), and as you can see i'm having trouble clearing all the jumps. Can anyone help me out with my technique and maybe give me some pointers on cornering and exit speed. I know i'm "coasting" too much into the corners, but I'm not sure how to fix this without feeling out of control.:thumbsup: Thanks in advance!

i am watching the videos right now, next time you want advice its better too have someone video you because then we can see your technique as far as your attack position elbows up etc. etc. i will tell you what i think after i watch though

Sounds to me like you may just need to stay a little higher in the rpms, esp when exiting corners... your corner speed isnt horrible for being off the bike for 3 years, but it seems your pretty low in the RPM range. Ive seen much, much worse and they can clear every jump on the track with the worst corner speed ever! Try getting on the gas a split second earlier or maybe just a little extra clutch work to pull a little extra power from the bike on exit, Im assuming your on a 250?

Im not certain or an expert by any means but it almost sounded as if you were short shifting at times. Every jump you cam up short on seemed like you were only a couple feet short, doenst take much more speed to gain that distance.

Seat time and confidence is the key in my opinion. You look better after 3 years than I do after my 4 month break for winter.

Edit: Alex makes a good point, see if you cant have someone else film you next time. Im sure you'll know exactly what your doing when you watch yourself.

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it!

I feel like I get more drive in the lower RPM range because of the torque, but I think yall are right in that I need to carry through in higher RPMs. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

I'm going to try to get someone else to film me, but most of the time I go to the tracks alone, mainly because none of my friends ride! haha.

Thanks again!

also to help you clear the 2nd/3rd jumps get on the gas before u land (like 1 second before) to give u a bit more of a drive into the next jump.

As said above too, work on your turns and line choices, there were plenty of turns u should have used the inside line. Also to make them seem not so tight use the whole track go from the far outside and sweep into the inside line to cut down how sharp the turn is. I do understand some of the turns u needed to take the outside to hit some of the jumps, just saying there were some u could do the inside lines for.

I shoot a lot of video myself and have a helmet mounted camera, so I've learned how to analyze these sorts of videos. :thumbsup:

I can see a lot of issues in BP that are related to how much handlebar I can see. In corners, I shouldn't be able to see any handlebar, but you've got it exposed, that tells me your not sitting far enough up on the bike. In fact, most of the video has you sitting mid-seat.

It also looks like your sitting down a lot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when the track is smooth, like most of the track you are riding is, but it is a bad thing when you come into the whoop section that you flubbed in the first video.

In terms of shifting and gear selection, you're not too far away, perhaps you're just off by one gear and a bit more throttle. I'm a 2 stroke guy myself, I'd hit those obstacles very differently then you're doing them. Plus, the go pro camera with the wide angle lens, doesn't do your situation any justice, those jumps look easy... but I'm sure in reality they are not.

Those are really the only comments that seem worth discussing right now. Go out, work on a few of them at a time and produce another video! :confused:

If thats a 450 which I think it is, i would say your gear selection is fine. Not many people can wring the neck of a 450. A 450 is putting out plenty of power lugging around, it doesnt need to be screamed like a 125. Try taking more of the inside lines especially since you can get back up to speed quickly being on a 450. No need to hit the outsides unless your going to totally tear them apart and rail it.

If thats a 450 which I think it is, i would say your gear selection is fine. Not many people can wring the neck of a 450. A 450 is putting out plenty of power lugging around, it doesnt need to be screamed like a 125. Try taking more of the inside lines especially since you can get back up to speed quickly being on a 450. No need to hit the outsides unless your going to totally tear them apart and rail it.
i think its a 250, he tagged 250F in the video so im only assuming.

i think its a 250, he tagged 250F in the video so im only assuming.

Yeah it is a 250F! sorry i forgot to mention that. but i guess that shows that i should be higher in the RPMs if you can mistake my 250f for a 450 haha!

There is nothing wrong with lugging a 250f especially in sand.