Sign in to follow this  

California Carnegie question.

Heading up to Carnegie at the end of the month. I have an aftermarket pipe and I do have a spark arrestor but the sticker that came with it is long gone.You could actually see the screen when it's installed. Will they let me in with the spark arrestor but no sticker for it?:thumbsup:

If they can see the screen they most likely will. It all depends on what side of the bed they wake up on.

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/OHV_SAG2007.pdf

OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE SPARK ARRESTER

INSPECTION PROCEDURES

Forest Service Standard 5100-1c requires that each arrester

shall be permanently marked with the model number and

the manufacturer’s name or trademark. The model number

must match exactly. The identification must be stamped

in the metal body or on an attached metal plate. The words

“Qualified” or “Approved” are not required, and do not

indicate that the unit is in fact a qualified arrester.

1. If identification of the manufacturer’s name and

model number is found, then refer to the “Qualified

and Rated” list.

2. Check the “Qualified and Rated” list to establish if the

arrester is qualified.

3. If not on the “Qualified and Rated” list, be sure to

check any SAG update information you have received

since the time of the printing of your present SAG.

The absence of an arrester from these lists indicates

that the arrester has not been qualified.

4. After the arrester has been identified, turn to the

Drawing Section and check the spark arrester

5. Suggested tools for inspections:

a. Hand tools to open cleanout, screwdriver, and

pliers.

b. Flashlight.

c. 1/8-inch wire rod or stick to probe inside the

arrester to determine if stationary fan or vanes are

in place.

d. Tape measure.

e. 0.024-inch wire gauge to determine screen size.

6. Inspect to ensure that:

a. The spark arrester is correct for the position of

application.

b. The exhaust system between the engine and the

spark arrester is in good order.

c. The arrester is properly maintained and cleaned out

when necessary.

7. More detailed instructions are available in the

NWCG video, “Spark Arresters and the Prevention of

Wildland Fires.”

8. Follow your agency’s policies when an unqualified

spark arrester system is encountered.

Carnegie SVRA

Telephone

Ranger Station:

(925) 447-9027

District Office:

(925) 447-0426

Emergency:

This is what the Forest Service has to say but read the bottom line, call the places you are going to ride on...TJ

it shouldnt be a problem..

not sure what kind of bike you got, but red sticker season is over. so i hope you have a green sticker bike.

Like Infamy said, should be no prob.....And yes, it is greenie sticky season only right now at Carno..

Thanks for the replies. I know that it's green sticker only right now that part is not my worry, CRF450X. Just wanted to see if they were super strict on the regs. The only place that I have been checked is at McCain Valley down here in San Diego county.

Edited by BrassOnes

They will also look for a smog\air pump. No pump = no entry.

And it will probable be dry and dusty....I cant believe I didn't get one good ride in this year at Carnegie, it was either a day early and the mud just clogged up my swing arm or it was dry and dusty. If you can hit it right the traction is awesome there.

Thanks for the replies. I know that it's green sticker only right now that part is not my worry, CRF450X. Just wanted to see if they were super strict on the regs. The only place that I have been checked is at McCain Valley down here in San Diego county.
e. 0.024-inch wire gauge to determine screen size.
(note be careful and don't do this when hot, don't want to poke a hole in it)

If you can see the screen at least keep this in mind, generally if they can see a screen and it can pass this test they let it fly, no grantees however Law Enforcement people from different agency's often play by different rules...TJ

And it will probable be dry and dusty....I cant believe I didn't get one good ride in this year at Carnegie, it was either a day early and the mud just clogged up my swing arm or it was dry and dusty. If you can hit it right the traction is awesome there.

That would have been between 9am and noon on the last Saturday after the rain stopped. Then it became a dust bowl.

They will also look for a smog\air pump. No pump = no entry.

That is such an embarrasing law/policy.

Oh well, just cram a marble or a ball bearing in the tubes. All the dumb thing does is make the bike pop.

That is such an embarrasing law/policy.

Oh well, just cram a marble or a ball bearing in the tubes. All the dumb thing does is make the bike pop.

Since the day I brought my CRFX home I have been told to do a block off or do the JB Weld mod, I actually have had a block off kit in the tool box for the past two years. If I had used the kit it would be just another thing I have to do for this trip. The pop just doesn't bother me.:thumbsup:

My trip to Carnegie has gone into the books as a successful one. Not sure what I was worried about ranger at the gate didn't even look at the bikes in the back of the truck. The weather was great and there wasn't a crowd. I dropped the bike once, thank goodness for hand guards. Nice little riding spot.:smirk:

Yeah its the same at P.C.,Mamoth bar and Hollister too. Sometimes you get the third degree and the next its hand over your cash and go.

I ride Carnegie lots in the winter and have found if you buy a season pass and just wave it they just wave back and don't even approach your truck...I hafta admit I wonder if it would work in red sticker season...:smirk:

I ride Carnegie lots in the winter and have found if you buy a season pass and just wave it they just wave back and don't even approach your truck...I hafta admit I wonder if it would work in red sticker season...:smirk:

x2 , you get bothered less with the annual pass. ive got my monies worth on this years pass already and i bought it in april :smirk: