Used TC 250 Question...

Looking at buying 2005 TC 250. I think the bike might have 70hours on it. Is that a high or low number for this year and this bike. Any major service things to be worried about or look for? I know valve adjustment, but anything else?

Thanks

Thanks! I think the bike is on it's 3rd owner and that scared me a bit. I have an smr510, so I think I'm familiar with the bike for the most part, but just wasn't sure what a high or low hour would be. I assume the tc 250 has the digital read out that shows all the info?

Actually from the pics of this bike, I don't see the digital read out, how would I know how many hours are on the bike? Trust?

No meter. Maybe he installed a hour meter from new? Are these track hours? Trail hours? how does the bike look around the frame (boot ware), are the wheel bearing and head bearing good? Give it a good once over, check everything (water, oil, filter, etc) ride it and run it through the gears. Solid bikes but buying used is always a crap shoot. Do your due diligence and make sure you know everything you can before popping on it. Also an 05 TC should come pretty darn cheap.

From the pics, the bike looks really clean. No scuffs on swing arm or anywhere else, but I'll obviously get a better look in person. Usually when a bike is older and very clean I think 1 of 2 things. Great bike and not used much, or clean and something is wrong with motor. I'll give it a good look. Asking $2500

Anyone know where on the bike the year is stamped? Is it part of the serial number? On my smr there's a black sticker on left side of frame in front but on the tc I'm looking at, I can't find the year

Thanks! I think the bike is on it's 3rd owner and that scared me a bit. I have an smr510, so I think I'm familiar with the bike for the most part, but just wasn't sure what a high or low hour would be. I assume the tc 250 has the digital read out that shows all the info?

Most ppl do at least 2hrs of riding in a session. So with 70hrs use, that's roughly 35 rides. It's 6yrs old & there are 52 weeks/yr. Thats 312 weeks. 312 divided by 35 equals 8.9 which means the bike has been used every 9 weeks on average. This isn't accurate because it's more likely that each owner rode it a lot at 1st then not so much as the novelty wore off but you get the picture.

And of course no one ever knows if the hr meter was disconnected & of so, for how long. So you use the hr meter, along with the condition of the bike & some basic tests to determine whether it's genuine.

Don't be put off by 3 owners. You never know why someone sold it. It could easily have been cash flow issues. It's been owned on average for 2yrs by ea person so that's not really bad.

Well I bought the tc250. Really clean bike. The guy said he hasn't used it in the past 2 years, but it was all serviced around the same time. Fluids look good, I'm gonna change oil and filter. During my test ride, I did notice a bog on the first bit of throttle turn, but once it got through that, the bike ripped. I know the gas is old, so I'm gonna flush it out and put new fuel in it. Not sure if the carb is rejetted or not, but I know I had a slight bog on my smr510 before I put a jd jet kit in. Took some tinkering on my 510, but it's very responsive when I crack the throttle. Maybe the jets just need some cleaning since it's been sitting for so long. If the bike isn't rejetted, I'll throw a jd in there.

What is a good jetting setup for my tc250?