Sign in to follow this  

Washington NFS Chainsaw Course

enlighten me on the process. How long? this is a requirement for volunteering, correct? Who usually teaches this? What makes them qualified? Where do this commonly take place?

Thanks

Chad

enlighten me on the process. How long? this is a requirement for volunteering, correct? Who usually teaches this? What makes them qualified? Where do this commonly take place?

Thanks

Chad

I don't think it is required if you want to go out and do trail maintenance on your own. If you want to work with the NFS I think you need to have taken the class. I assume it is taught by the rangers.

The class is one day on a Saturday and I think it is run somewhere on the east side of Snoqualmie Pass.

Greg

Generally, the FS does not hold a "class" but rather a certification session. While helpful techniques are passed along or discussed, it is assumed volunteers know how to use a chainsaw safely and have all the necessary safety gear. The volunteers demonstrate their skills and receive either a card good for one year for small logs or a two year card for larger ones.

I should add that at the start of the sessions on the GP, a training video is shown. It goes thru many basics for cutting fallen trees. It can be quite helpful to pick up some techniques you may not know. I suggest you ask if the video can be shown at the Ranger Station at the start of the session.

I renew my saw cert with the USFS every year . Its a great course even if you have ran a saw all your life. I think the Naches Dist . is having one more saw cert class this year. You need to get a hold of Sue Ranger to sign up. She might also know if there is a Ranger Dist that is also holding these classes if Naches is to far for you to attend.

Here is her contact info.

Susan Ranger

Recreation Planner/Trails and Wilderness Manager

Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests

Naches Ranger District

(509) 653-1446

Well, I talked to the office in Sedro Woolley. The Canyon Ridge Trail is closed this year because the road is washed out. I'll probably have to do the course somewhere else. Craptastic.

Well, I talked to the office in Sedro Woolley. The Canyon Ridge Trail is closed this year because the road is washed out. I'll probably have to do the course somewhere else. Craptastic.

Mistake #1:lol:

Mistake #1:lol:

Ok, so I talked to the head of road and trail maintenance. He said that the road is washed out where the turn off from Hwy 542 is. He also stated that you are only allowed to walk or ride a bike past the wash out. It is about 12 miles to the trail head from the turn, with 2000+ feet of elevation gain.