Starting a Fuel Injected bike

A Fuel Injected bike is always perfectly jetted. So does it start with little effort when cold and hot? How about tipped over or crashed hard? Is there a starting ritual? Choke or hot start? If it starts every time regardless thats enough for me to buy a FI bike.

Last time I was at Milestone there were a couple guys with brand new 2011's parked right next to me and they were kicking them like school girls and they fired right up. Hot or cold...

A fuel injected bike is only as good as its Map in the ECU. Theoretically, ya, perfect jetting all the time.

3 slow kicks, fires up every time

09+ hondas dont have a choke or hot-start lever..

all we have is a "high idle" knob to pull when starting the bike when its cold. can usually turn it off within a few seconds as long as its not freezing outside.

starting procedure:

pull knob

kick a few times

Thats enough for me to get one. I love my 08 450R chassis though so changing to the new generation chassis is my next mind battle. Lots of different viewpoints on that.

Thats enough for me to get one. I love my 08 450R chassis though so changing to the new generation chassis is my next mind battle. Lots of different viewpoints on that.

A friend of mine has an '08 and loved it, until he rode my stock '10. He thinks it handles a million times better without even messing with the sag or clickers.

He purchased a lightly used '11 from a guy that had some suspension work done to it, and he absolutely hates it. I think he's going to try to dial it in this weekend, but he's not liking it so far. Granted, the guy he bought it from weighs a lot more.

Thats exactly what makes it so hard to decide. Same chassis but extreme outcome on suspension setup. I want FI though.

Thats exactly what makes it so hard to decide. Same chassis but extreme outcome on suspension setup. I want FI though.

should be golden if it's set up for you!:thumbsup:

Luckily, my weight and ability match up with the stock suspension, as is, for now.

What weight and level is that?

I can start my Kx450 using my hand once it has been run. True story.

I would expect the Honda to be just as easy...

What weight and level is that?

160 lbs. and slow as a snail :thumbsup:

I can start my Kx450 using my hand once it has been run. True story.

I would expect the Honda to be just as easy...

My 426 did that when I was wiping it off after a wash... :thumbsup:

I have seen many people start different bikes with their hand in normal conditions. Cold morning, hot bike, flooded, crashed, now try to start it. Sounds like a FI bike will start easier than a carb bike in these conditions.

I have an 09 and it isn't bad to start but my carb 06 always started easier than the FI 09. The 09 you kind of have to give it the school girl kick, if you give it a hard fast kick then it won't start.