2006 te510 tire size

So I recently bought a 2006 te510 and it had on it a monster rear tire called Terraflex 140/80. I noticed that the pIpe in the rear had scuff marks on it, apparently from the tire. So I spaced it out about an inch and a half, and yet it still makes contact slightLy. Then I did some research to find out the stock tire size and to my surprise it calls for a 140/80! I am a bit puzzled by this. Does anyone have an idea what is going on here? I was thinking of buying the Pirelli MT21 140/80 but am I going to have the same problem? I appreciate any help on this.

140 is stock and quite wide unless you are a sand/mud rider maybe. 120 or 130/80 or 130/90 is more normal, some go for 100 width even. Even on my 610 I think the 130 width is better.

You may still get rubbing on your pipe if your pipe mounts are slightly tweaked. Not that I would have first hand experience :-). My MT43 DOT trials tire rubs my pipe.

thx, but if the stock tire size is 140/80, why would the tire, which is 140/80, be hitting the pipe? it just dosn't seem to make sense that the bike would be designed this way.

The mounting tabs may be tweaked. I have had this before with a Maxxis IT in a 120 width. I just bent the tabs out a bit. The Terraflex tires I have seen are a 150 width, those things are huge!!

right, i can bend the mounting tabs. but that still doesnt answer the mystery as to why ANY modification would be necessary when the stock tire is supposed to be 140/80. to me, if that is the stock size, the tire should NOT come in to contact with the pipe. do they come out of the crate with this problem??

I doubt the TerraFlex was the stock tire, it is usually a Karoo or some other mediocre DOT Dual sport tire stick. The Terra probably has humongous knobs and sticks out more. The pipe bends inward easily. Are you assuming your pipe is not bent in slightly? That, and an oversize aggressive tire = rubbing. Just go with a 130 and pull the pipe out a bit. A small rub won't bother much anyway.

right,thx. i know the stock tire is not a terraflex. and i have to check the mounting tabs. it is possible that the previous owner dumped the bike and those were bent.

The stock tire 140/80 Michelin is egual to most other companies 120/100. Michelin uses a differant measuring system. its my understanding that Michelin measures from outside to outside knob and most other co.'s measure the carcass.

The stock tire 140/80 Michelin is egual to most other companies 120/100. Michelin uses a differant measuring system. its my understanding that Michelin measures from outside to outside knob and most other co.'s measure the carcass.

+1 you found the answer to your mystery. One manufactuers 140 will be another's 120. Dirt bike/knob tires are all over the map as far as size. Sounds like you're stressing it a lil too much.

There is a difference in size.

Here's a 120 beside the factory 140 beside the Terraflex.

408.jpg

The Terraflex is more like a 150 & was designated as such until last year IIRC when manufacturing returned to the US from China.

Right,thx, so the terraflex is oversized. I figured that was a possibility. Now, I want to change the tires out to the Pirelli MT21. So, do I go with the stock size140/80? I ride a lot of sand and woops.