Sign in to follow this  

Upgraded battery / AGM Options

The battery that was installed in my DRZ is not OEM, and I don't really trust it for a trip I'm taking pretty soon. I think a gel / AGM type battery is a good investment. Should I get the stock replacement size, or is the Happy-Trail upgraded battery box for a larger battery worth the investment. It's $50, plus a larger battery. My DRZ is set up for adventure touring, nothing too extreme as far as single track or motocross. I am looking for the most reliable option, but is going with a larger battery going to add too much weight?

Thanks for any info,

Ryan

HT battery box :

http://www.happy-trail.com/DRZ400S/Battery-Box-DRZ400S-All-Years.aspx

I did a search, but didn't find anything specific.

Stock battery is AGM type. SSW Super start battery is an upgrade to a larger AGM battery.

I like the SHORAI lithium batteries. Small, light and powerful.

l have a GS YUASA battery. l have never needed to recharge it. There are many different kinds of YUASA batteries but the GS YUASA is by far the best.

I went ahead and orderd a TruGel from my local supplier. I decided to see if a new correct sized battery will make enough improvement, so I won't have to go to an oversized battery. If it doesn't work, then I'll go the bigger battery.

Ryan

I decided to see if a new correct sized battery will make enough improvement, so I won't have to go to an oversized battery. If it doesn't work, then I'll go the bigger battery.

Ryan

In the same boat(or similar) Prev owner bought a new crap battery and it doesn't do the job at all.....especially when I need it the MOST! So, post results, please? I think a bigger or at least greater output batt is necessary

Flywalker - The OEM battery in my DRZ was a GS brand and yes it was the best. Not been able to find one here in the US.

Strongly recommend a LFP battery. Get a 5Ah or larger for incredible starting power far exceeding AGM. Lighter than stock, will fit in stock holder. Simply replaces stock battery, no special changes to bike. Some minor wiring connector tinkering possible.

Although 5Ah sounds less than the stock, the chemistry is different. The 5Ah refers to the slow draw rate, but the start pulses available far exceed similar sized AGM or lead acid in amps available and number til dead.

I have www.turntechbattery.com or Shorai is another recommended choice.

http://www.batterystuff.com/knowledge-base/index.php?action=article&id=185

I just returned from a 3-day weekend of trail riding in Nocal. My 2.5Ah Turntech got quite a workout on this trip with quite a few restarts on single track, and the battery performed absolutely perfectly.

Strongly recommend a LFP battery. Get a 5Ah or larger for incredible starting power far exceeding AGM. Lighter than stock, will fit in stock holder. Simply replaces stock battery, no special changes to bike. Some minor wiring connector tinkering possible.

Although 5Ah sounds less than the stock, the chemistry is different. The 5Ah refers to the slow draw rate, but the start pulses available far exceed similar sized AGM or lead acid in amps available and number til dead.

I have www.turntechbattery.com or Shorai is another recommended choice.

http://www.batterystuff.com/knowledge-base/index.php?action=article&id=185

I just committed and placed an order for the 5ah Turntech.:thumbsup:

My 06 is still running with the stock battery which I assume is on borrowed time due to age..... hope I made a solid choice?

I just committed and placed an order for the 5ah Turntech.:thumbsup:

My 06 is still running with the stock battery which I assume is on borrowed time due to age..... hope I made a solid choice?

When it arrives, your reaction will likely be:

1) the box is empty, they forgot the battery

2) Oh, there is something in the box, but it must be the wrong battery, that little thing could never handle this bike

3) Might as well try it

4) Well I'll be??? it starts it.

5) (after some long time period) I hope the battery cover bolts haven't seized in the holes from lack of use!

I have a 2.5Ah which has never let me down. With a 5Ah you should be golden, I just recommended the 5Ah above since the OP was worried about capacity. Even the 5Ah is soooo much lighter than stock so why not have the extra capacity?

I run the turntech 2.5ah and I'm impressed. I also added a kickstart kit. Realistically if your concerned with battery reliability I'd highly recommend adding the kicker. For $215 and an hour of work you'll never worry about your battery again.

I received my 5ah yesterday.... wow...that sucker is a bit lighter than the stock unit. I hope to have it installed tonight to test fire it. It's a bit smaller so I need to get some closed cell foam to pad up the extra space in the battery box.....