DIY front spring replacement DR650 MY2003

OK----It's been a while since I checked in with all y'all. It's time to get rid of the mushy front suspension on the '03 650. Is there a DIY with pics on the site of how to do change out the front springs? I am fairly handy with a wrench, but I have never done suspension work before. I will be buying the parts from Uncle Jesse. Also, is it against conventional wisdom to only change out the front springs? Thanks in advance for your help--------!

I just got done doing fork seals and springs in mine. Here are a couple of sites that were shared with me that helped out a bit. Super easy, could probably even do it with out removeing the fork tubes from the bike.Oil level should be checked and set. Mine was actually low from the factory, not by much, maybe 150cc per side !

www.offroadexplorer.com/Forum...hp?f=58&t=1213

http://www.pnwds.com/t1365-2003-dr650-fork-rebuild

For some reason the top one doesnt work, try to copy and past it in the address bar? lots of good info there.

Edited by smaas
broken link
OK----It's been a while since I checked in with all y'all. It's time to get rid of the mushy front suspension on the '03 650. Is there a DIY with pics on the site of how to do change out the front springs? I am fairly handy with a wrench, but I have never done suspension work before. I will be buying the parts from Uncle Jesse. Also, is it against conventional wisdom to only change out the front springs? Thanks in advance for your help--------!
If your riding is done on the pavement, add a 3/8" spacer to each fork leg (I weigh 185lbs). This will be a big help with front brake fork dive. I was almost happy with this, but the stock spring rate is too soft for the weight of the DR offroad. No, it isn't against the law to only change out the front springs, but installing Race Tech emulators is quite a revelation. Don't increase the oil viscosity, 15w may be harsh; damper rod forks suck, either rebound or compression. It's more involved but you're a tool guy, it isn't that hard. As far as changing out the springs (you're handy with a wrench): put the bike on a stand to support the weight of the bike, remove the fork caps, pull out the springs (bending a little around the handlebars, slowly to wick the oil off of the springs), insert the new springs.

Your weight is one of the variables, I'm 185 (and going up every frikkin' year :thumbsup:)