Sign in to follow this  

2011 CRF450 clutch pull at the lever

Anyone know a good fix for the 2011 CRF450 clutch lever? I know it has a ton of things wrong with it such as fading, stiff lever pull, etc... BUT my biggest thing that bothers me is the fact that I have to pull the lever almost all the way to the handle bar for this thing to fully disengage. The feel at the lever is fine, I don't think it's too stiff or anything but its just I can't even ride with 2 fingers on the clutch lever cause I can't pull it in all the way cause it hits my other fingers. I already did a search and looked at a ton of info but still not too sure. Im hoping maybe a Works Connection elite perch will help. Had one on my 08 CRF450 and it was awesome, felt like pulling in a CR125.Any thoughts?

Take the judder spring out. Replace the last fiber clutch plate that has the large inside diameter with a standard clutch plate. This will give you a little more room for fingers behind clutch lever. But it with not help for the stiff lever pull.

The stiff lever pull is really not what bothers me. It's the fact that I am only 5'8 and don't have very big hands so to have the lever in a comfortable grabbing position it never fully disengages the clutch till I pull it almost to the bars. I will try and remove the judder spring and take the last fiber plate out and put in a regular sized one, thanks for the tip!

I have the Rekluse core exp 2.0 on order for my because i still was not happy with the clutch after removing the judder spring. It disengages better without it but it still seems to drag just a little bit when you stop and try to put it into neutral. It seems that in this case you would have to pull the lever all the way to bar for easy shifting to neutral, which leads me to believe that the clutch is still dragging and not completely disengaging. So in my opinion the stock clutch is just not very good.

an hydro clutch wont make your clutch last any longer which is an other issue with the 4 spring clutch. It will only give you a better feeling at the lever. I would replace the 4 spring clutch with a 6 spring, such as Hinson or Rekluse. There is a cheaper route to the 6 spring but I cant find it on ebay now. A forum member called FRAMEBREAKER used to sell these clutches for half the price of a hinson or rekluse. try to contact him with a PM, people from this forum claim they work fine

cool, i heard the 12 crf450 now comes with fading brakes!

gee i hope honda gets there shit sorted soon. you should check out the new ktm 12, 450.

it has a 1 piece steel clutch, and special alloy crank. ill try find the link.

point being, i think honda have seriously dropped the ball on mx bikes these days.

found it.

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/2012-SNEAK-PEAK-SPY-PHOTOS-OF-THE-ALLNEW-FUELINJEC-7872.aspx

I think you might have yours adjusted to tight, my 11 engages about 1/4 to 1/2 pull. Bike has 3 hours on it. I still have that judder spring in there too.

Hey man I lengthened the clutch actuator arm. I had a machine shop do it for me, it cost 50 bucks. Now the pull is almost cut in half, lemme know if your interested in the same and I'll get you more details.

Remove the judder spring makes a major difference.

Just remove it? That's it? I don't have to put another stock plate in there like others have said?

Just remove it? That's it? I don't have to put another stock plate in there like others have said?

Yes you could run the clutch fiber that's in there. When you take it apart you will see that the clutch fiber is missing about half the surface area that is why i would replace it. It is less than $12 to replace with a oem fiber.

Replace the judder spring set up with a standard fiber and you'll be good to go. I did this with my 11 and was happy with the difference it made as far as where the clutch engages/disengages. The stock set up is junk. This simple, cheap fix works, but it's no miracle cure. I just came off an 06 and that clutch was sweet, whereas the 11 still leaves something to be desired. Anyway, replace the 3 parts that make up the judder spring with the standard fiber, (#21) on the parts microfiche and you will notice a difference.

Remove the 2 judder springs & narrow clutch fiber from the rear of the clutch pack & replace w/ 1 stock clutch fiber & you'll be set up just like the older CRF450R's that didn't have this 2011 judder spring set up. Done it to my son's bike & he's very pleased...says it now feels like his old 2006 CRF450R.:thumbsup:

Remove the 2 judder springs & narrow clutch fiber from the rear of the clutch pack & replace w/ 1 stock clutch fiber & you'll be set up just like the older CRF450R's that didn't have this 2011 judder spring set up. Done it to my son's bike & he's very pleased...says it now feels like his old 2006 CRF450R.:thumbsup:

Exactly...did it to mine, solved all my issues with the clutch.

....and I thought I was crazy for having this problem. I have always run ASV levers, so I put on a set thinking it would solve the issue. Not. Thanks for the answers.