Sign in to follow this  

More very cheap mods, I wasn't done yet

I used a three quarter inch wide aluminum strip to make a mount for my GPS and an hour meter and tach. I buy aluminum from a metal yard. I look through their scap buckets. Right now they charge about $2.50 per pound.Picture113.jpg

To make room for my FCR throttle cover I belt sanded away at the oil tank where the bolt goes in. This moves the tank farther outward.

Picture117.jpg

I have a Cee Bailey windshield, which I think is overprice, because it cost more than ten dollars. I drilled new wholes in the acrylic wind shield to make it higher, I'm 6'1". I used this aluminum bracket to hold the light cowling in place. otherwise it bends down with the wind resistance.

Picture116.jpg

Picture114.jpg

I used a three quarter inch wide aluminum strip to make a mount for my GPS and an hour meter and tach. I buy aluminum from a metal yard. I look through their scap buckets. Right now they charge about $2.50 per pound.Picture113.jpg

To make room for my FCR throttle cover I belt sanded away at the oil tank where the bolt goes in. This moves the tank farther outward.

Picture117.jpg

I have a Cee Bailey windshield, which I think is overprice, because it cost more than ten dollars. I drilled new wholes in the acrylic wind shield to make it higher, I'm 6'1". I used this aluminum bracket to hold the light cowling in place. otherwise it bends down with the wind resistance.

Picture116.jpg

Picture114.jpg

Congratulations you are officially the cheapest person I know. :thumbsup: kidding

I wish I was as resourceful as you, I'd be in alot less trouble from the wife for buying the tt fcr kit without her consent:bonk:

Total spent so far $34.75 :thumbsup: Thanks for giving me the idea for buying scrap aluminum from the recyclers :confused: home depot prices are nuts.

I never said I told my wife I bought an fcr carb. I used credit card points. I didn't by my aluminum from a recycler. It's a company by my work. they sell metal by the truck load as well as the handful.

NO! I don't want a KLR! I never use the windshield unless its under 40 degree. It hits me in the helmet going up hills. How can a dirtbike weigh 380 lbs anyways.

Bend the oil breather mounting tab away from the carb, a little goes a long way.

I made this aluminum kickstand. Total cost $3. I used brazing sticks to put it together. You can find them on E-bay.

I made this exhaust bracket from an old CB Mount. Two holes actually lined up pretty good. After mounting it I decided to put some goop around the rubber bushing.

Picture109.jpg

This is a picture of my FCR carb from a yamaha 450yfz 4-wheeler. It was a really good deal, almost very cheap, so I gave it a try. The worst part was the frame of the bike was in the way of the idle speed screw. I didn't want to cut the bikes frame so I cut the adjustment screw off the carb and used aluminum brazing rod to screw a new bracket. The carb TPS had totally different resistence than the stock carbs. I wanted to use my old TPS sensor but this carb's throttle rod turns the opposite direction. Also in this picture are upper engine mounts made of, of course, aluminum. Yoshimura charges $100 for these and the front mounts. The front mounts are already aluminum.

Picture092.jpg

After installing a FCR carb, I needed to make a vacum tube attachment because my stock petcock with the ims fuel tank was in the way. I used 3/8 steel brake line from an automotive store because after I cold pressed it in the bolt I could bend it out of the way of the petcock. later I put jb weld around the steel brake line for peace of mind.

Picture095.jpg

This is a cheap $18 walmart ATV seat. Origanally it was to wide in the front and forced my knees out into the wind, so tonight I got out a scissors and ducktape. After this weekend and 500 miles I'll see how it holds up. I think the pad just makes the seat wider and distributes my weight better.

Picture244.jpg

Must be tough not having a KLR :)

**** ! that's the most underhanded way i've ever seen someone called 'cheap' !

lmao - nice mods man, and home made stuff is the hangin bits. rock it !

Must be tough not having a KLR :)

As tongue and cheek as this comment was I can see a lot of truth in it. I'm a KLR owner and was long before I bought my DRZ. That bike looks like a lot of the KLRs I see around. Milk crate and all. I kinda like it, but I'm a cheap bastard (KLR owner) so that's no surprise. :)

As tongue and cheek as this comment was I can see a lot of truth in it. I'm a KLR owner and was long before I bought my DRZ. That bike looks like a lot of the KLRs I see around. Milk crate and all. I kinda like it, but I'm a cheap bastard (KLR owner) so that's no surprise. :)

When I get to the cabin the windshield comes off (hits me in the head when I wheelie), so does the seat pad and milk crate (after getting groceries). I use the rack to carry spare tube and tools. It's easier to make a drz a Klr then a klr a drz.