Sign in to follow this  

CRF150F vs CRF230F shock

Is the stock shock for a 230 the same as the 150? Specifically the spring rate and valving. Wondering if a 230 shock would be any improvement for the 150.

Is the stock shock for a 230 the same as the 150? Specifically the spring rate and valving. Wondering if a 230 shock would be any improvement for the 150.

The 230f OEM shock is a piece of s%*t so i wouldn't bother unless you are going to get it sorted at Hlebo (maybe he can sort your 150 shock out instead?)

anybody reccomend a good rear shock for the 230f?

i looked at a few options, like the works shocks, but i dont know how to tell what i need?

i know very little about suspension :S

The 230f OEM shock is a piece of s%*t so i wouldn't bother unless you are going to get it sorted at Hlebo (maybe he can sort your 150 shock out instead?)

LOL - Yes, I figured that was the answer. The price for the Hlebo revalve is actually a great deal...

what does hlebo do to the shock exactly? and how does it effect the performance of it?

Hlebo will change out the old fluid, restack the shims configuration, and recharge the shock with nitrogen. That's what you will get with his service. IN the end, the shock will be firmer than before, and this change will satisfy most riders.

But if you're an aggressive rider, you may want more out of the suspension than a revalve. This is where the WORKS shock could be a better path to take. With the WORKS shock, you will get some adjustments to dial in the suspension to your liking. On the high end Works shock, there's a remote canister that improves the shock's performance further and a height adjuster built into the bottom shock mount. The Works shock comes with a stiffer spring, I think it's progressive rate, not 100% certain. wouldn't be surprised if its a straight rate. Everyone who has this shock has nothing bad to say about it, except that it's expensive. Me, I think it's a rather cheap buy, considering how much an Ohlins shock is for the KTMs & CRF450s.

I think he sprinkles magic dust on it and screws in a schrader valve for looks! :confused:

I just sent my 230 shock in today...if everything I have read is true, my bike should track very well over whoops and absorb most bumps like a dream. The price is right for sure. I requested he add extra magic dust to accommodate my riding style....:thumbsup:

$200 for the rear shock and $170 for the forks. You pay shipping there, he pays the return.

if you go with the forks, let me know how they turn out!

everybody says the rear shock re-valve from Hlebo is the best investment they have made for the crf230f, so i have no doubts there...

but i havent heard anyone say anything about the forks yet .. ::thumbsup:

If ya look a few posts down-- I'm planning on getting Hlebo to mod the stock suspension on one of my 150F's, then I was planning on a Race Tech shock with a 150R front on the other bike that I use for mini- moto.

If you ask Race Tech-- they say that their emulators help to control rebound, but per our conversation the other day-- John says they do nothing for rebound.... I tend to believe John, as he isn't interested in selling anything but his services. So I was just going to order a set of .44 springs, and have him do what he can with the front, and skip the emulators. I did see a set of fork caps with threaded preload adjusters that I was planning on swooping up as well. --- L*64

Technically speaking, the RT Cartridge Emulators do NOT address rebound damping. The do, however, have a slow circuit sized appropriately for the heavier US3 (15w) oil they recommend. By using heavier oil (15w versus stock 7w) the lack of rebound damping IS addressed. So the emulator itself is not doing anything and John's statement is absolutely correct.

You will be very happy with John's work and you won't have to tweak a single thing.